Author Topic: pirating ms stuff  (Read 845 times)

DumBaSs

• Kudos: 0
pirating ms stuff
« on: 11 February 2002, 21:00 »
void i remember u said that pirating ms stuff helps them...i wanna kno y...cuz im dumb and cant think for myself...lol

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
pirating ms stuff
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2002, 21:25 »
First, rather than spending your time learning about real operating systems that you can get for free you kiddies like to copy MS software (I know, everyone does it, not just kids).  You may do it because you think it is the only software out there, or maybe because it costs so much you think it must be better or whatever the reasons, or you do it just because you think you are getting away with something.

Now that you have a copy of the software you use it exclusivly, if nothing more than for playing games (which you may also have pirated).  You do this until you get out of school and have to work for a living.  It happens to be the only software you have ever used and it's now a little late in the game to try and learn some new tricks.  You are already familiar with MS software so that is likely what you will want to use in your workplace. Once you are in a legitamate business you can no longer use illegal software, you must purchase it.  So you put up with shelling out the extreme amount of money that businesses have to give Microsoft to use their software.

Had you spent your time learning about alternatives at a young age you could have entered the workplace a little brighter and realized there are many cases where you can use an alternative for much less money and gain more productivity in the process.  The full frontal labotomy should not come until you are at least a vice president but you chose to start out with the full frontal.

Pirating MS software has about as much if not more positive effect for MS than all of the advertising they do. It get's people "accustomed" to their software, they will likely buy it at some point.  If people are not accustomed to it, and are at least as familiar with alternatives as they are with MS, they may choose the alternative down the road.

Because of the pirating, and because you can only get a PC these days with MS software on it, most people are *only* familiar with MS software.  In todays business world it's pushing out other software not because it's better and/or less expensive, but because people are *familiar* with it and they are too lazy to learn something else.

I suppose one of the reasons that Microsoft is all of a sudden now cracking down on home users for pirating is because now they have nearly 100% of the market share so pirating doesn't have the significantly positive effect it once did.  So $100B isn't enough for them, they have to screw the little people now too.  You should see it when MS comes though a large corporation to *audit*. It's not a pretty sight.  Next they will be coming through your home doing audits. Actually the auditing is built in to XP and OfficeXP.

But if people are comfortable with that it's a sad day.  I certainly do not put up with it, wish others did not. So that's why I discourage pirating MS software and encourage the use of Linux (or anything other than MS).

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: VoidMain ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
pirating ms stuff
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2002, 14:22 »
Top class, VoidMain, even though you already answered this question before, it's good to see it spelt out for people.

I think the main point here is that Linux, in its many forms IS free. M$Windows is only free if you copy it illegally. Why would you bother taking the risk when you had a totally legal alternative, which you could use for free? And, by most accounts Linux works better than Windows too, so... bonus!
This said, there are always extenuating circumstances, and if you weren't going to pay for the M$ software anyway, then bootlegging it is almost OK, but the moment you pay a penny to Microsoft, they win and you might as well have not bothered at all.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

dbl221

pirating ms stuff
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2002, 03:47 »
Dam I never thought of warez in that light ....good  
one VoidMain.

I use Linux but I have to use M$ for school and everyone at school pirates M$ crap.

I have had a hard time convincing most of my class mates to use Linux Full-Time...in retrospect I guess all the pirating was not helpin the Open Source cause.

Well thats why we have thought provoking forums like this one.  
dbl221***Comp-Sys walking wounded

DumBaSs

pirating ms stuff
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2002, 03:02 »
but then the problem is that if you are going to get ms software you might as well as pirate it instead of buyin it...

the point you are tryin to make is to use some thing else other than microsoft...i was meant if we HAD to use microsoft it would probably be better to pirate it

[ February 15, 2002: Message edited by: DumBaSs ]

psyjax

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
pirating ms stuff
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2002, 04:02 »
yeah, but do you HAVE to?... I don't think anyone HAS to do anything  
Psyjax! I RULEZZZZ!!! HAR HAR HAR

iancom

pirating ms stuff
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2002, 07:00 »
Why would you *have* to use Microsoft stuff?

If it's for work, and you must use M$ software to do your job, you have no choice. There is no excuse whatsoever for using pirated software in the workplace. Period. I don't care if they are the most evil empire in the world.

Although you're unlikely to ever get caught, using pirated software at home is equally wrong.

Microsoft own the rights to their software. They have laid out the terms of use for their software in their EULA.

If you don't agree to those terms DO NOT USE THE SOFTWARE!

There are so many reasons that using pirated MS software backfires on the open-source movement.

We (the open-source community - I presumptiously include myself because I use the software although I don't [yet] actually contribute to it) are all too often seen by the general public (usually guided by M$'s spin machine) as freeloaders who want everything without having to pay for it.

The general public often fail to see, however, that those who use open source software do pay, but in a different way. In whatever way most people will provide some feedback to developers, give suggestions, or even code patches to correct bugs.

Even just completely passively using open-source software helps the cause. The more websites that log a UserAgent string other than Internet Exploder the better. (note defending my hypocrisy: I am using Mozilla on Windows 2000, I know... sorry. I have to. For work. And it is fully paid for.)

Oh yeah, the other thing... if you're using pirated MS OS's 'cos you want to play games...

DON'T.

Get a PS2, Dreamcast, whatever. It's so much better when you can play it on a 21" telly instead of a 15" monitor, and it doesn't take up 600MB of disk space.

And yes, I know there are collaborative games about that require the use of M$ OS's. If you believe M$ is wrong, don't use them. Only then will they realise that they have to cater to the wider audience.

Cheers...

IanC