Author Topic: WindowsBBS is DOWN!!!  (Read 1343 times)

HighLamb

• Kudos: 0
WindowsBBS is DOWN!!!
« on: 7 October 2002, 15:06 »
Just nosey, going there and take a look. Got this:
"BBS is curently down due to technical problems.

I hope to have it available again soon.

Thanks!

Arie Slob,
WindowsBBS.com"

WindowsBBS
mac == easy
*nix == power
windoze == nothing

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
    • http://www.akgames.net
WindowsBBS is DOWN!!!
« Reply #1 on: 7 October 2002, 16:08 »
Yes, down with the bastards. But they aren't too pro-Windows, and we are anti-M$.

They run Apache on Linux, and the site still works, so it isn't the fault of the server!  :D

[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: The_Muffin_Man/B0b ]

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
WindowsBBS is DOWN!!!
« Reply #2 on: 7 October 2002, 16:54 »
if their server is down then there should just be a connection failed error...
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
WindowsBBS is DOWN!!!
« Reply #3 on: 7 October 2002, 20:33 »
It says they moved to a new server near the bottom now.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
WindowsBBS is DOWN!!!
« Reply #4 on: 7 October 2002, 21:04 »
well i could get no info on windowsbbs.com from netcraft, however when i visit the site they are up, so i read the bottom of the page and they are owned by windows-help.net, which shows up as being apache on linux, which is odd since last time i looked i got full version info about the windows BS servers...

AH yes... here we go, they are running apache with frontpage extensions on linux, meaning their shitty site was probably made in frontpage!!!  
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
WindowsBBS is DOWN!!!
« Reply #5 on: 7 October 2002, 22:53 »
This site isn't in much better shape than WindowsBBS was. This site is running slower than molasses. First, WindowsBBS(being run on Linux/Apache) goes down and now this place(also being run on Linux/Apache) is running slow like it is almost ready to go down. That is enough to make an admin want to put alot of faith into Linux/Apache for a server...LoL    :rolleyes:  

ihateapple.com being run on Microsoft IIS hardley ever goes down(the only time it does is when they are upgrading the server) and it is always speedy. ;P Planethardware and thier forums are also run on Microsoft IIS and it never goes down and it is always speedy also. Come to think of it, all of the forums on forumplanet are on MS IIS because forumplanet(the server that hosts all of the gamespy forums) is on MS IIS.

[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
WindowsBBS is DOWN!!!
« Reply #6 on: 7 October 2002, 23:37 »
quote:
Zombie9920: First, WindowsBBS(being run on Linux/Apache) goes down and now this place(also being run on Linux/Apache)

quote:
Netcraft What's That Site Running Results: The site ms-eradication.org is running Apache mod_gzip/1.3.17.2a on FreeBSD.

FreeBSD users include Affinity, Orange, Yahoo! and The Apache Project

Apache is also being used by Rackspace, Dialtone Internet, VA Software and Alignment Software

Ever saw Yahoo! "going down"?

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
WindowsBBS is DOWN!!!
« Reply #7 on: 7 October 2002, 23:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:
This site isn't in much better shape than WindowsBBS was. This site is running slower than molasses. First, WindowsBBS(being run on Linux/Apache) goes down and now this place(also being run on Linux/Apache) is running slow like it is almost ready to go down. That is enough to make an admin want to put alot of faith into Linux/Apache for a server...LoL     :rolleyes:    

Hmmm, guess Zombie must think that Linux and FreeBSD are the same OS. Yep, if it's not Windows it's gotta be Linux. And I would know better than most about the uptime and speed of this site since I spend every waking hour here right Zombie? All I can say is it's *always* been very fast and available for me. Maybe you should check your network connection out and get off that MSN crap.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

DC

WindowsBBS is DOWN!!!
« Reply #8 on: 7 October 2002, 23:40 »
Ohh! Horrible!

Oh wait. Windows BBS?

I honestly don't seem to care.

Zombie9920: server OS isn't the whole story to uptime - only a small part actually. Webmasters and bandwith (and hardware) are far more important. OS and software is more of a bonus on top of that (or rather a handicap). And Apache isn't that bad at providing the bonus/minimalizing the penalty.
GS/CS d- s-: a--- C++ UL+ P+ L++>+++ E W++ N>+ o K- w-- O- M V? PS+>++ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5+ X R tv+ b+++ DI+ D+ G++ e>++++ h! r- y
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
A quantummechanical wavefunction describing an unknown amount of bottles of beer on the wall
We take a measurement, the wavefunction will collapse, and one of the bottles of beer will fall

Zombie9920

WindowsBBS is DOWN!!!
« Reply #9 on: 7 October 2002, 23:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by void main:

Hmmm, guess Zombie must think that Linux and FreeBSD are the same OS. Yep, if it's not Windows it's gotta be Linux. And I would know better than most about the uptime and speed of this site since I spend every waking hour here right Zombie? All I can say is it's *always* been very fast and available for me. Maybe you should check your network connection out and get off that MSN crap.

This site is on FreeBSD now? When I first registered here it was on Linux. Blah, I know that BSD isn't Linux. And yes this site is running dog slow right now(no I'm not on a MSN ISP). I know it is this site and not my ISP because every other site I've went to today is running nice and fast. I think that the Webmasters machine is having hiccups or something. ;P

pkd_lives

WindowsBBS is DOWN!!!
« Reply #10 on: 7 October 2002, 23:54 »
Hmmm...I believe the server is located in CA, maybe they got some tremors going on over there  ;)  

Then again, I don't notice this site being slow, maybe your connection is being routed via a slow server?
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

Zombie9920

WindowsBBS is DOWN!!!
« Reply #11 on: 8 October 2002, 00:03 »
This place is picking up a little more speed now, but it is still being slower than usual for me today. Uggh, I hate having to wait on shit to load.

Zombie9920

WindowsBBS is DOWN!!!
« Reply #12 on: 8 October 2002, 00:23 »
This is fucking ridiculous.

MES Forums on Apache

IHA Forums on IIS

PHF Forums on IIS

My vote goes to IIS for speed and reliability. ;P

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
WindowsBBS is DOWN!!!
« Reply #13 on: 8 October 2002, 00:25 »
I don't know, I am getting FAST response times. There have been times in the past where I couldn't connect directly from my home, but I would log in to one of my servers out on the internet and could get right in (bounce off a proxy running on my server). So in every case it was a local routing problem at my Cable provider whenever I have had trouble. Have you tried running a traceroute (tracert in Winblows) and see if the problem lies somewhere between you and the server?

And what's bad about MES running on Apache? Apache always has and always will kick the shit out of IIS.

[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
WindowsBBS is DOWN!!!
« Reply #14 on: 8 October 2002, 00:42 »
i was just reading through these posts thought that i would add my piece. The mes loaded fast for me.
please forgive the windows desktop, i am at work right now.   :(  

edit: fuck the large image, i will just link to it.
MES Load Time

[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: xyle_one ]