Author Topic: Certified to suck.  (Read 3410 times)

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
Re: Certified to suck.
« Reply #15 on: 24 August 2008, 19:54 »
Here's TWO.
AbiWord
OpenOffice.Org

Try harder.  Since you seem to push "lack of choice" as a possible merit, I'm honestly shocked that you wouldn't notice when the community decides that there is already a handful of applications that do the job well enough to not warrant ANOTHER program.  Then again, you being you... S)

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #16 on: 25 August 2008, 00:01 »
I'm confused, is MS OOXML supported on those? If so I apologize, I heard otherwise and might have been wrong.

Is the MS OOMXL standard even what Office 2007 is using? I've not really bothered with it.
« Last Edit: 25 August 2008, 00:03 by Kintaro »

Orethrius

« Reply #17 on: 25 August 2008, 03:57 »
I'm confused, is MS OOXML supported on those? If so I apologize, I heard otherwise and might have been wrong.

Is the MS OOMXL standard even what Office 2007 is using? I've not really bothered with it.

OH OH, BACK ON YER MEDS! LOL

Quote from: Kintaro
File > Save As > RTF

Was that hard to relinquish their ownership?

EDIT: Just looked it up and its not patented, freetards are just too dumb to reverse engineer it.

Quote from: Orethrius
Here's TWO.
AbiWord
OpenOffice.Org

Try harder.  Since you seem to push "lack of choice" as a possible merit, I'm honestly shocked that you wouldn't notice when the community decides that there is already a handful of applications that do the job well enough to not warrant ANOTHER program.  Then again, you being you... S)

Any idiot can see that your last post was the first time that you mentioned OOXML in this thread.  Then again, I suppose you're that "better idiot" everyone's been talking about.  Having fun spamming /b/?

System Vitals

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #18 on: 25 August 2008, 08:36 »
I mentioned MS OOXML because someone mentioned document formats, that's all dude.

Orethrius

« Reply #19 on: 25 August 2008, 08:42 »
I mentioned MS OOXML because someone mentioned document formats, that's all dude.

If I believed for two seconds that your wiring let you push OOXML after getting your ass busted for trying to weasel out some twisted confession regarding RTF support, I would've said so.  You mentioned OOXML because it turns out that you know precisely dick about RTF legacy support in Linux.

System Vitals

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #20 on: 25 August 2008, 08:51 »

If I believed for two seconds that your wiring let you push OOXML after getting your ass busted for trying to weasel out some twisted confession regarding RTF support, I would've said so.  You mentioned OOXML because it turns out that you know precisely dick about RTF legacy support in Linux.

RTF thing was unrelated, save to TXT, save to this and that, or hell: Save to Office 97/2000/2003 format, that is supported by AbiWord and OpenOffice Writer. I'm just saying: document compatibility already exists.

You are right, I know little about the complexities, but I know I can get a document I made on Office to load in OpenOffice so I just don't see the huge barrier here.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #21 on: 9 September 2008, 10:43 »
the barrier is closed formats and broken standards, like it always is with MS.

A document created in MS Office is not always going to work in OpenOffice.org, Microsoft even change the file format between versions of the software, as an incentive for MS Office users to "up"grade, but also to deter projects that would like to read and write to Microsoft Office file formats. Even if it does open, it may well not look anything like it did in MS Office, and that does put people off. Sometimes the difference is irritating enough to really get on your nerves.

This is because MS, the owner of the de facto standard in office software file formats, have decided to manage their formats in this way. closed spec to force everybody else to guess how they work and change the spec every couple of years just for a laugh. Instead they should use proper open standards and everybody'd be happier.

By comparison it would be like if a small country already had a functioning government and economy and then a large country like the US imposed sanctions or sent troops in to "sort everything out" basically so they can keep control (of the global economy in the case of the countries, or of the market in the case of the software company). When you look at it, it's just selfish and nobody benefits except the large country, or in the case of MS the large company, same thing in a lot of ways.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism