Author Topic: Canon PowerShot SX100IS and OSX  (Read 1124 times)

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
Canon PowerShot SX100IS and OSX
« on: 11 September 2008, 01:02 »
I bought one at Office Depot yesterday and it works even as a web cam via USB. But the software is a hassle. When I plug in a memory card (like one in a usb thumb drive) an 'Image Capture Extension' starts and calls Camera Window Software which then calls Memory Card Utility.

To keep the ability to download pictures from the camera via usb, but not have this application grabbing my sd cards and running all sorts of software, I archived the Memory Card utility and then renamed the original. The process still starts, but quits when it can't find the MCU.
The camera download via USB can still be called from yet another piece of software that came with the camera.

The Canon software takes 250 MB of space :O . The only thing that looks useful is the stitch utility, to let you make a panorama of smaller pix.

The camera also came with a 16mb sd card LOL LOL LOL    The fine print in the user book says that that chip 'may' not allow the full use of the camera.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
Re: Canon PowerShot SX100IS and OSX
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2008, 05:57 »
If your running windows XP or above, you don't need to any of that crap, it will detect it just fine. My install of Ubuntu 7.04 also detected my PowerShot S3 just fine.
sig.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2008, 07:27 »
If your running windows XP or above, you don't need to any of that crap, it will detect it just fine. My install of Ubuntu 7.04 also detected my PowerShot S3 just fine.

A Mac will detect that camera and many more with no troubles.  But getting all that extra proprietary crap to run requires separate programs that no OS ships with.

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2008, 19:43 »
Yeah, iPhoto imported the pictures just fine, but iMovie refused to recognize the camera. Apple's usb drivers suck so bad, they only allow firewire cameras in iApps. I've tried forcing drivers on usb web cams and they sometimes barely work.