Author Topic: 3 ways your company can be breaking the law and not know it  (Read 1903 times)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: 3 ways your company can be breaking the law and not know it
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2008, 11:57 »
So if you own anti-hacking tools as a system administrator, you could face up to five years in prison?

Great. I'm glad the Netherlands doesn't have DMCA or NET yet, although we do have a law that makes it illegal to use someone else's username and password.
« Last Edit: 11 September 2008, 12:04 by Refalm »

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Re: 3 ways your company can be breaking the law and not know it
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2008, 14:04 »
some of these laws are pretty braindead though. here's a good one:
A California law passed in 2003 requires that any company that does business in California must notify their California customers if they discover or suspect that nonencrypted data has been accessed without authorization. This applies even if the business is not located in California, as long as you have customers there, and no exception is made for small businesses.
that's all very well, but how will California enforce this? If my business is in Edinburgh, and for some reason i have a large client base in California, then for some reason i fail to comply with this law, how is California going to prosecute me? Will it apply to Westminster for my extradition to the USA, a country i have never visited? Doubtful.

Pass as many laws as you like, if they're dumb laws, they won't help anybody.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism