Author Topic: Seattle "gives up"  (Read 3252 times)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Re: Seattle "gives up"
« Reply #15 on: 19 January 2009, 05:05 »
I don't actually know what email client the mayor prefers, I just threw that out there as an example of how simple and baseless the whole thing really could be.

I'm not sure exactly what email clients will be used, as I'm not sure which ones are Exchange compatible.  Nor do I know if choice of email program (or browser) is available citywide.  I'll ask about that next time I see him.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #16 on: 19 January 2009, 08:14 »
Now would this change even effect tings like libraries and other community accessible computer systems. Not just limited to government?
sig.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: 19 January 2009, 10:01 »
The city of Seattle email system.  I guess if it involves City Light and Public Utilities, it involves the library and the rec center too.  Public access terminals, like those in the library, probably don't have client email access outside the browser.  But if they do, I assume they are included.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #18 on: 20 January 2009, 18:28 »
Just seems like an awful lot of expense for not so much benifet.
sig.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: 20 January 2009, 22:22 »
That's what the city's IT department said.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: 30 January 2009, 01:04 »
Some more info:

- I confirmed that the upgrade will extend to all known computers run by the city of Seattle, which includes those at dams in western Washington
- I found out that city of Seattle employees do not get to choose their own browser or email client.  Currently, they are using IE6 and the Groupwise email client.  After the upgrade they will be using IE7 and some version of Outlook.
- One of the reasons the upgrade will be such a pain in the ass is that they are using directory services, which allows each computer to access a centralized address book.
- Another reason the upgrade will be such a pain in the ass is that they are also implementing at the same time a message archiver, so that emails will become part of the official correspondence of the city.

Last night, we were talking about IT projects in general, and what causes them to succeed or fail.  If you've ever read the cartoon "Dilbert", you have some idea of how to get a project to fail.  Interestingly, this guy told me that one project description that runs up immediate red flags is "take this piece of software and install it on our computers".  One of the main reasons is that all executives tend to think that is a retail cost + 5% project that can be done over a weekend.  Maintaining Photoshop on 1000 computers (for example) requires nearly constant maintenance - and the product will be outdated in 6 months.  Nothing is ever easy at that kind of scale.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #21 on: 10 February 2009, 15:08 »
in a true freemarket economy, only liars, cheats and idiots actually get to make these kinds of decisions.

thousands of guys with computing degrees can be shouting "no!!!! that's stupid!" and so long as one guy with a certain job title (but no computing training) says "do it anyway, i'm up for reelection soon" (or whatever his motivation is, could be "do it anyway or microsoft'll release the kinky bondage photos to the press") then they're all stuffed. That's capitalism.

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism