Author Topic: 360 To get Blu-Ray?  (Read 2704 times)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
360 To get Blu-Ray?
« on: 11 October 2008, 16:07 »

According X-bit Labs, Microsoft contacted the company to produce the Blu-ray disc player for its Xbox 360 console. Previously Microsoft offered an external HD-DVD player, however once Toshiba pulled the plug on the format (story), buckling under its knees at the mercy of Sony
sig.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Re: 360 To get Blu-Ray?
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2008, 07:22 »
So Sony is going to sell Microsoft Blu-Ray drives so that the Xbox-360 can more evenly compete with the PS3 (and PS4, which they must be working on by now)?  Somehow this all seems a little bit funny.

Although I must say that Blu-Ray is starting to get bigger.  DVDs used to be released in two versions: 1 with just the film at standard price, 1 with all the bonus features at super-price.  Nowdays, they release two versions: 1 with just the film at super-price, 1 on Blu-Ray with all the bonus features at super-duper-price.  Blu-Ray and the LoTR boxes have totally morphed the consumer video market.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2008, 01:34 »
I can't imagine that sony is the sole supplier of Blu-Ray drives. Believe it or not HD-DVD used the exact same wavelength laser that Blu-Ray uses.
sig.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2008, 02:52 »
Of course not.  Sony's merely a member of the Blu-Ray Association.  Panasonic/Matsushita and Pioneer have also produced Blu-Ray drives.  But it's still kinda funny.  One name that doesn't have any association whatsoever with the Blu-Ray Association is Microsoft.  Now that the format wars are over, you think they'd get on board.  It's not like them to not side with the winner.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2008, 05:03 »
I see your point. Microsoft pushed very hard for HD-DVD, for them to not back Blu-Ray at this point would be foolish. But I don't think they will make the jump until their next generation console is released.
sig.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2008, 12:53 »
They should still join the association and get their spoon in the sauce.  They don't have to implement right away, but it's a bad move to let the association dictate all the terms.  Especially when Apple and HP are on the board of directors.  It's more effective to take over from the inside than it is to sit quietly on the outside.