All Things Microsoft > Microsoft Hardware

360 To get Blu-Ray?

(1/2) > >>

Lead Head:

--- Quote ---According X-bit Labs, Microsoft contacted the company to produce the Blu-ray disc player for its Xbox 360 console. Previously Microsoft offered an external HD-DVD player, however once Toshiba pulled the plug on the format (story), buckling under its knees at the mercy of Sony
--- End quote ---

worker201:
So Sony is going to sell Microsoft Blu-Ray drives so that the Xbox-360 can more evenly compete with the PS3 (and PS4, which they must be working on by now)?  Somehow this all seems a little bit funny.

Although I must say that Blu-Ray is starting to get bigger.  DVDs used to be released in two versions: 1 with just the film at standard price, 1 with all the bonus features at super-price.  Nowdays, they release two versions: 1 with just the film at super-price, 1 on Blu-Ray with all the bonus features at super-duper-price.  Blu-Ray and the LoTR boxes have totally morphed the consumer video market.

Lead Head:
I can't imagine that sony is the sole supplier of Blu-Ray drives. Believe it or not HD-DVD used the exact same wavelength laser that Blu-Ray uses.

worker201:
Of course not.  Sony's merely a member of the Blu-Ray Association.  Panasonic/Matsushita and Pioneer have also produced Blu-Ray drives.  But it's still kinda funny.  One name that doesn't have any association whatsoever with the Blu-Ray Association is Microsoft.  Now that the format wars are over, you think they'd get on board.  It's not like them to not side with the winner.

Lead Head:
I see your point. Microsoft pushed very hard for HD-DVD, for them to not back Blu-Ray at this point would be foolish. But I don't think they will make the jump until their next generation console is released.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version