Miscellaneous > Technical Support

Go to Sleep!!!!!!!

(1/3) > >>

worker201:
Weird problem with my Thinkpad.  Yes, it's running Windows.  It is set to go into standby mode when I shut the lid.  When it goes into standby, it gives a system beep (not a Windows sound), and the standby indicator light goes on.  When you open the lid, you hear a system beep, the standby indicator light goes off, and the computer is back to normal.  It requires a password to resume from standby (Windows "security").  This is normal activity.

Now, since I got my network set up, the following happens once per day:  there is a system beep, the standby indicator light goes out, and the optical drive spins up.  Approximately 30 seconds later, the system beeps again, and the standby light comes back on.  This is happening without me touching the computer in any way.

I remind you that the computer's MAC address is blocked by the router, but the IP address is not.  I'm wondering if some computer out there is knocking on the door to say hello in a way that the router is letting it through, only to be stopped by the password requirement.  I know lots of software likes to call home and talk about me behind my back, especially Windows.

When the computer's lid is shut, I want it to STFU.  Besides the security risks, that system beep is loud as hell, and cannot be adjusted.  Usually it happens in the middle of the night, and it wakes me up.  In fact, I just realized what is happening today, because it happened while I was sitting at the desk using the other computer.

Any suggestions?  Seen this problem before?

Lead Head:
It might be worth a poke around the Device Manager or BIOS to see if it has a Wake-On-Lan ability

worker201:
'Wake On LAN' was disabled in the BIOS.  But 'Flash Over LAN' and 'Internal Network Option ROM' were enabled.  They have been disabled, because I would never want to do either.  I also excluded the network card as a bootable device, just in case.  We'll see if that does it.

worker201:
Update: changing those BIOS settings did not solve the problem.  Further ideas appreciated.

Refalm:
Try making the keyboard and mouse not have control over stand-by or hibernate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version