Miscellaneous > Technical Support

Go to Sleep!!!!!!!

<< < (2/3) > >>

worker201:
I'll get right on that as soon as I figure out how.

You think that somehow the mouse is moving, causing the machine to wake up for a few minutes?  That's a pretty fucked-up definition of sleeping.  Well, it's Windows, I guess anything but awesome is possible.

worker201:
Update - more info:

Today I was using both the Mac and the PC, and I had the PC's shared documents folder mounted as a samba share on the Mac.  Before leaving for class, I shut the lids on both, putting both into sleep mode.  When I returned from class, I opened the lid on the Mac, which still had the samba share mounted.  Immediately, the PC tried to wake up.  This leads me to suspect that the PC is attempting to respond to some sort of network stimulus.  In this particular case, it's like the PC wanted to be ready to share data with the Mac.  On other occasions, it must be the router polling it or something, I have no idea.

WMD:
The system beep on Thinkpads can be disabled through a Windows utility that comes with the machine.  My dad's Z61m has this, and we turned it off.  It's way too fucking loud.

Unfortunately, I can't remember what utility it was, only that it was IBM's and that it came with the computer.  Might have been their custom power management app.

worker201:
There's a place in the BIOS where you can disable the system beeps.  I could do that, but I'd rather find out why I'm getting beeps at all.

WMD:
The machine is designed to beep when woken up.  That particular beep can be disabled on its own.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version