Author Topic: Firefox 2.0.0.20 and Flashblock  (Read 1766 times)

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
Firefox 2.0.0.20 and Flashblock
« on: 27 December 2008, 20:24 »
After upgrading to the last scheduled release of FF2, sites like Liveleak and Youtube no longer worked.
There were no videos loaded and no Flashblock icon to click to allow. I disabled Scriptblock and it had no effect.
I uninstalled the version of Flashblock I was using and reinstalled the latest stable build, then enabled it and restarted and all is well.

Even when the videos didn't play I could go to Keepvid and download the video, so it wasn't a site problem.

I have Adobe Flash 9 something. I went to their site and according to them, it's the latest version. I even manually checked the Internet Plugin folder to make sure the plugins were still there.

edit: I just had to unistall NoScript and get the latest version to replace it. There was a conflict between NoScript and Flashblock on some sites. There must have been some serious changes to FF because of cross site scripting holes in Adobe.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2008, 02:38 by davidnix71 »

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
Re: Firefox 2.0.0.20 and Flashblock
« Reply #1 on: 29 December 2008, 01:06 »
curious why you haven't upgraded to FF3?
sig.

davidnix71

« Reply #2 on: 29 December 2008, 05:38 »
I tried FF3 and thought it's gui was too busy and confusing. It took 10 minutes just to delete all the unneeded stuff so I could actually use the full screen to browse. I tried iCab again and actually like it now that they are using WebKit to make it. I don't want a zillion bells and whistles, just a simple broswer (with script-blocking and the usual plugins).

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2008, 20:34 »
I use Firefox 3 and I don't know what you're talking about. There might be a couple of GUI differences from 2 but nothing significant enough to bother me.

I prefer 3 because it's got other useful features, link being able to keep downloads inbetween sessions and zoom all elements of the page, including images and flashes.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2008, 21:04 »
I'm using Firefox 3.1b2, and it's great.  On a Mac, it took me 5 seconds to remove the navigation bar, bookmark bar, status bar, and web developer bar.  That just leaves the tab bar, which I like to keep open, but it's only another 2 seconds to turn that off as well.

davidnix71

« Reply #5 on: 30 December 2008, 04:17 »
How do you get the navigation toolbar to NOT display all the bookmarks when you click the right arrow. In FF2 that shows typed urls, in FF3 it shows bookmarked sites and typed urls. I have a lot of sites bookmarked, but I don't want to look at the list when I click the nav bar, I want to see where that session has been.

I have two profiles and it took me a looooong time to customize FF3 to make it clean like FF2. I had to get help on the web because the profile manager is accessible only through command line from Terminal.

Edit. I got it now. There is an addon that fixes what was changed. I don't want to curse here, it's not your fault. I don't want all my bookmarks and my url history all dropping down in my face like that. If I get rid of the nav bar then there is no simple way to type in a url or cut and paste when I'm haxoring.
« Last Edit: 30 December 2008, 04:51 by davidnix71 »

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 30 December 2008, 20:52 »
I don't understand.  Maybe it's because I'm using the Caminofox theme, but bookmarks don't show up there for me.  Just typed URLs.

davidnix71

« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2008, 01:13 »
The stupid "Awesome Bar" in FF3 has caused complaints all over. Google 'FF3 Awesome Bar'and most of the hits are about how to get rid of it.

Even Linux users don't like it. There is supposed to be an about:config setting for it, but it doesn't seem to generate a consistent result.

At the "Old_Location_Bar" addon site there are responses that show that I'm not alone in actually refusing to use FF3 because the fscking nav bar has so much crap in it that it actually makes the nav bar unusable. It's so blatantly stupid that I don't understand why they even did it. I want my bookmarks in a bookmark folder and my recent urls in the nav bar like a normal browser, but the only way to get it that way apparently is either to install a theme or get an addon.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/reviews/display/7637?show=20&page=8   read the reviews here for a clearer view of the trouble FF3 has caused. Mozilla has hurt themselves doing something truly stupid to FF3.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 31 December 2008, 02:33 »
I have no idea what you're talking about.  What is an awesome bar?

davidnix71

« Reply #9 on: 31 December 2008, 03:46 »
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=3500519   has comparison pix of FF2 and FF3 nav bars. When you click the down arrow on the far right of the nav bar in FF3 this is what drops down.

« Last Edit: 31 December 2008, 04:12 by davidnix71 »

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 31 December 2008, 04:38 »
Alright, I guess we disagree.  I hardly ever use that particular feature, but when I do, it doesn't bother me.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #11 on: 31 December 2008, 21:02 »
I don't have a problem either.

@David, I did get your e-mail but I did not have time to post it, sorry about that.
sig.