Author Topic: Knock off nigel  (Read 1703 times)

bob_v5

• Kudos: 0
Knock off nigel
« on: 9 December 2008, 02:01 »
"Knock off nigel"
Any of you guys seen this? It's probably UK only, but it's totaly insane. How far from the real world are these advert guys?
For people that don't know what I'm talking about, I will try to explain. (Try youtube)
"Knock off nigel" is what the anti piracy people are trying to introduce as a term for people that download dodgy stuff, buy copied dvd's etc. I dont know about the rest of the world, but where I live, if somebody was selling copied dvd's in the pub, it would be the person that objected that would get the negative attention.
There are no stupid questions. Only stupid people.

fishcorn

• Kudos: -4
Re: Knock off nigel
« Reply #1 on: 9 December 2008, 09:40 »
Wow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TbqBPmInjQ

Look how embarrassed he is at the end! I bet he wishes he wasn't a Knock-off Nigel now! Ha ha ha!

I guess he's learned his lesson. If you don't just lay there and let corporations rape the shit out of you instead of being clever and looking out for your own interests as a consumer to get some freebies here and there, the idiotic mass of credit card debt-laden pub-crawlers with bad teeth who've ruined their lives and drunken themselves stupid on a legally-produced liquid drug will mindlessly laugh at you and cuntish, materialistic, judgmental bitches whose relationships' futures rest entirely on the authenticity of the gifts given to them will leave you without even asking if the senile old stranger playing the guitar and heckling you
« Last Edit: 9 December 2008, 10:11 by fishcorn »
"Regime Change" starts at home!
Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001
Jihad:
http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm

new SuSE Linux User!

If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!
trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!
Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #2 on: 9 December 2008, 12:39 »
rant

You seem shocked.  Sounds like pretty standard television commercial fare to me.  Normally in the US, the wizened hack playing the guitar is kept out in the streets, and people don't distribute dvds in the pub, so I can see how you might be thrown by the Englishness of it all.  But the message is the same as anything on US tv.

fishcorn

« Reply #3 on: 9 December 2008, 15:22 »
rant

You seem shocked.  Sounds like pretty standard television commercial fare to me.  Normally in the US, the wizened hack playing the guitar is kept out in the streets, and people don't distribute dvds in the pub, so I can see how you might be thrown by the Englishness of it all.  But the message is the same as anything on US tv.
Really? I don't think I've ever seen a commercial with this message in the US. I guess I am a little shocked by the overtness of it and their idiotic attempt to exclude people that don't serve their interests from the "cool guys" crowd by having him look ashamed as he gets laughed at by a mob.
Jihad:

new SuSE Linux User!

If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!
trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!
Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 9 December 2008, 16:28 »
I remember a particular commercial for Heinz ketchup.  There's some sort of drive-in place, but modernized, and all the cool high school kids are hanging out there.  A guy orders some fries, and he's waiting for the ketchup to slowly ooze out of the bottle.  His friends are telling him to get in the car, because they have to go somewhere, but he won't go because he's waiting for the ketchup.  The friends say "We don't wait for ketchup" and strand him there.  Of course a few minutes later, the ketchup does start flowing from the bottle, and now he's got a whole plate of fries with ketchup.  A car full of cute girls comes along, and they are so impressed that he has fries and ketchup that they invite him to hang out with them.  Later, you see the guy sandwiched between 2 girls in the backseat, sharing his fries, when they run into his incredulous friends.  Obvious moral of the story - use our product and score.  Implied moral of the story - if you don't use our product, you won't score, aka you're a loser.  How is that any different than Knock-off Nigel?  Notice that all the other guys at the bar who aren't buying bootleg dvds have girlfriends...

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2008, 16:44 »
true, true (TM)
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

fishcorn

« Reply #6 on: 16 December 2008, 21:12 »
I remember a particular commercial for Heinz ketchup.  There's some sort of drive-in place, but modernized, and all the cool high school kids are hanging out there.  A guy orders some fries, and he's waiting for the ketchup to slowly ooze out of the bottle.  His friends are telling him to get in the car, because they have to go somewhere, but he won't go because he's waiting for the ketchup.  The friends say "We don't wait for ketchup" and strand him there.  Of course a few minutes later, the ketchup does start flowing from the bottle, and now he's got a whole plate of fries with ketchup.  A car full of cute girls comes along, and they are so impressed that he has fries and ketchup that they invite him to hang out with them.  Later, you see the guy sandwiched between 2 girls in the backseat, sharing his fries, when they run into his incredulous friends.  Obvious moral of the story - use our product and score.  Implied moral of the story - if you don't use our product, you won't score, aka you're a loser.  How is that any different than Knock-off Nigel?  Notice that all the other guys at the bar who aren't buying bootleg dvds have girlfriends...
That's ridiculous. How is that the same thing? No one's stupid enough to believe that ketchup makes you more attractive to the ladies. You mitigate the stupidity of Knock-off Nigel when you try and claim that it's no worse than a stupid ketchup ad that never had even close to the same purpose.
Jihad:

new SuSE Linux User!

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2008, 03:11 »
Your assumption that no one is that stupid is a) erroneous, and b) irrelevant, because ads aren't about how stupid the consumers are, but how stupid the advertisers think the consumers are.

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2008, 01:29 »
The commercial seems crude by American standards, but I see no reason to complain. In the US you can literally get arrested for selling
knock-offs. The DRM police aren't very subtle here.

Most people in the US make their own copies from rented movies. It's easier. The knock-offs for sale on the street here are usually poor quality. There have been people selling out of the back of their cars in the 'hood where I live, but most people aren't that bold. There are regular sweeps of flea markets for knock-offs of designer stuff like Versace handbags.

So much stuff is made in China now that even what appears to be legit bought at major retailers may be an unauthorized copy.

bob_v5

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2009, 04:10 »
late reply......
you can get arrested for selling pirate stuff here too, but they are generaly more interested in drug deallers, car theives, underage drinkers, and stuff like that.
There are no stupid questions. Only stupid people.