Miscellaneous > Applications

Opera Unite

(1/2) > >>

Lead Head:
http://unite.opera.com/

--- Quote ---Opera Unite: a Web server on the Web browser

With Opera 10, we are introducing a new technology called Opera Unite, radically extending what you are able to do online. Opera Unite harnesses the power of today's fast connections and hardware, allowing all of us to help define the future landscape of the Web, one computer at a time. Read about how Opera Unite is going to change the way we interact on the Web on labs.opera.com.

--- End quote ---

What does anyone make of this?

Calum:
Web 2.0

hype?

marketing strategy?

davidnix71:
Looks like more than that. If I can web host from my own computer then the middle man gets cut out.

If they can get this to work, Firefox will have to do it to. It looks like fun.

worker201:
It does seem neat, but it also seems dangerous.  For one, there's the security issue.  If I am drawing the internet toward content hosted on my computer, how long before someone decides to look around and see what else I've got?  And then there's the ownership issue - if putting something on my computer is legally no different than posting it on a website, then my responsibilities with regard to copyright protection and copyright enforcement go through the roof.

In short, I think the middleman which is being cut out serves an important purpose.  He covers all the hardware costs, bears all the DMCA responsibility, and keeps a vigilant eye for security breeches.  If I thought I could do a better job, I already would have done it.

Lead Head:
You can already web host from your own computer. Apache is free and available for both *nix, OSX and windows. Basically all that Opera did then was make it easier?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version