Operating Systems > Linux and UNIX

Network starts (fails 50% of the time) very slow during boot.

<< < (2/2)

davidnix71:
I've had phones destroyed by lightning. Since this is adsl and copper wire, I don't want to chance it. We just had the first cool weather of the season yesterday. It was in the 90's Saturday with thunderstorms.

Also, my computer and adsl box run off batteries hooked up to solar panels. It doesn't pull much power, but I see no reason for wasting it.

Lead Head:
Maybe extend the DHCP lease on your router?

zbeefy:
I know it's old topic but still valid!!! I had the same problem, and it finally worked when I removed all other eth's from /etc/rc.conf

Basically it just reads this:

eth1="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth1)

Problems seem to happen on computers that have more than one network card. Do you have more than one? If yes, write down the mac address of the one you're sure you're using so you always know it's the one, and see which eth number it uses from ifconfig -a, and put that eth# in rc.conf.  Don't have anything in the INTERFACES SECTION that is commented out or preceded with a "!", if you have "lo" interface listed there, get rid of it too. See if it helps.   ;)

My network startup went down from 1 minute to under 5 seconds.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Some other people said that this might work too, but it didn't for me:                                                                                   
disable ARP check in /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd:                                                           

here: DHCPCD_ARGS="-t 30 -h $HOSTNAME" adding an -A like this DHCPCD_ARGS="-A -t 30 -h $HOSTNAME"
________________________________________________________________________________________

OmerTellez:

--- Quote from: davidnix71 on 20 October 2009, 02:40 ---I've had phones destroyed by lightning. Since this is adsl and copper wire, I don't want to chance it. We just had the first cool weather of the season yesterday. It was in the 90's Saturday with thunderstorms.

Also, my computer and adsl box run off batteries hooked up to solar panel. It doesn't pull much power, but I see no reason for wasting it.

--- End quote ---
You have got right charging system.. It is enough to generate small power which all you need.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version