Author Topic: Why Doesn't Bill want us to uninstall his browser?  (Read 1321 times)

CyberCat

• Kudos: 0
    • http://slashcat.blogspot.com
Why isn't there an uninstall button for IE??????
Ever tried to accually delete the sh^ty files one at a time? As soon as you can move them to the Trash bin, Windoze 'thinks you want IE' so it replaces want ever you removed!!!!!!!
Why Doesn't Bill want us to uninstall his crappy browser? Does anyone know why this is???? Another thing, why did Bill integate IE into Windoze? Anyone with a mind wouldn't want that! Hmm, I just don't seem to understand.

P.S. If anyone knows how to delete IE PLEASE TELL MEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! I've had it with that thing, I just want to see it gone, if anyone can help, please do!!!!

By the way did I mention I hate Microsoft?
Registered Linux User: #376544

Proud to be 100% Microsoft free.

Canadian Lover

• VIP
  • Kudos: 122
Why Doesn't Bill want us to uninstall his browser?
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2003, 04:06 »
You can't unilntall IE, but you can use this, instead

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2003, 05:06 »
MS locks IE into the operating system to insure it has IE installed on every computer with an MS OS.

This allows them to leverage their OS monopoly into a browser monopoly.  

Then they do crap like preloading IE on bootup so it seems like it's faster.

[ May 13, 2003: Message edited by: M. O'Brien ]

In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2003, 05:14 »
In Windows XP, from what I hear, you can select not to install IE. If you install it and want to remove it later on, I belive the first (or second) service pack allows you to do so.

Faust

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2003, 05:35 »
I've never actually seen an option to choose not to install IE.  After Service Pack one you can go into add/remove programs ==> set program access and "remove" it there, but all that does is remove the links.  The best I could manage was killing the links and denying it access to the internet with Kerio Personal Firewall.  Come to think of it maybe you can boot into linux, mount the windows partition and delete it from there...   ;)
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that
 -- http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Faust

Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

Doctor V

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2003, 06:01 »
I've heard of a app called Ieradicator that I hear can do it, but then I've heard that you can lose performance.  Even if you do delete IE from windows than you still have to deal with all the other buggy windows apps that come pre-installed.  And then there's the OS itself.  You should ask yourself 'what am I using windows for', and then 'can I do this without using windows'.  I see that you prefer the mac, but are still using windows for somthing.  A good chance you could do whatever it is your using windows for on a Mac or Linux.  And if you really really can't switch, there is mozilla, s posted above.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2003, 12:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by Faust:
I've never actually seen an option to choose not to install IE.  After Service Pack one you can go into add/remove programs ==> set program access and "remove" it there, but all that does is remove the links.  The best I could manage was killing the links and denying it access to the internet with Kerio Personal Firewall.  Come to think of it maybe you can boot into linux, mount the windows partition and delete it from there...    ;)  

Yes I tried that... I deleted the Internet Explorer directory, but when I booted back to Windows XP, it came back  :mad:

jpmarat

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2003, 07:27 »
Yeah...I haven't figured out how to actually delete/uninstall IE, so i just ignore its existence and use Mozilla (which rocks socks, btw).  However, keep it around to try fun things like the "cupholder script"!  A security flaw that results in immense enjoyment...and funny emails from website patrons!
Running XP isn't so bad...
But I will be getting Redhat this summer when I have time and can afford to have my comp down for a long period of time.

Visentinel

« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2003, 05:09 »
Hey IE may be a bad browser but if you use portal apps like MyIE2 that uses the IE engine, u get all the features and more that mozilla may have, with the pretty advanced engine of IE.

Stuff often looks heaps better in IE you know  
I wont argue the browser wars, everyone has there own personal pref, ive used mozilla and it looks promising, but IMO its not finished yet.

that Thing that open my CD Trays freaked me out ecsyle, How can i secure this?

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2003, 05:43 »
IE isn't an "advanced engine," unless by advanced you mean non-standard and prone to exploits such as the cd-tray thing you just were subjected to.

Please get Moz 1.4 or Phoenix, I swear you will never go back after using them.  The pop up and image blocking alone is worth the effort.

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2003, 06:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by Visentinel:
Hey IE may be a bad browser but if you use portal apps like MyIE2 that uses the IE engine, u get all the features and more that mozilla may have, with the pretty advanced engine of IE.

Stuff often looks heaps better in IE you know    
I wont argue the browser wars, everyone has there own personal pref, ive used mozilla and it looks promising, but IMO its not finished yet.

do not use windows xp, do not use internet explorer. that is the only way to really secure your computer . as for IE rendering pages better, that is complete crap. every page i have designed or go to looks far better in a gecko or khtml browser. did you happen to click that red hat link?

Faust

« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2003, 07:43 »
If he thinks IE looks so good, can someone paste the url to those demos on the Mozilla site?  I've forgotten it...  BTW you expect IE to be secure???
Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
Windows is like that

suselinux

• Kudos: 30
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2003, 21:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by Visentinel:

You cant that's our point

get with it

NM

« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2003, 11:25 »
IE only looks good when you design for IE only and then in all the other browsers look like crapola
Now if everyone would just follow w3 we'd all be happy