Author Topic: HP face recognition doesn't do negroes  (Read 2737 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: HP face recognition doesn't do negroes
« Reply #15 on: 23 January 2010, 20:05 »
Can your cat scan through billions of web pages and find occurrences of search terms?

Different tools for different jobs. For now, though, HP should've used cats.  8)

There are two identical twins I know in college, well I see them (normally one of them) around every week or so often. Never call them by their names. Even if I recognize the difference in their faces, I get mixed up with names anyhow and can't associate them with the correct name reliably. So usually if we're going out I ask someone "is mick/kev in the white shirt?" or figure it out like that. Not good at learning small differences in things, and very bad with names. But if I was a cat and I didn't need names I'd probably know mic/kev since I wouldn't associate their differences with a name and then get mixed up so I can't recall it confidently.

A search engine isn't really intelligent because it doesn't actually understand the information it sifts through. I'm not sure that a cat wouldn't either, apart from pictures of other cats, people and mice maybe. ;D

Just because you can't remember names very well doesn't make you unintelligent, it's just that your memory isn't very good. I'm not good at matching faces to names either: I generally need to vaguely get to know people before I can remember their names.

Intelligent animals can do things and solve problems that they would never normally face in the wild. My cat can differentiate between me and other people, even though it probably doesn't know my name but that wasn't what I saying. My point was that in the wild it only has to recognise feline faces, and is only able to recognise humans because it has intelligence, which a machine does not.

No doubt some face recognition software could be designed to sift through a huge database and recognise people better than any human can but because it's not intelligent because it'll completely fail if you asked it to differentiate between two cats.

Animals totally pawn even the most powerful computers when it comes to problem solving and common-sense reasoning.

For example my cat has figured out to open sliding doors, we didn't train it to, it figured it out for itself. What's funny is, if it knows I'm watching, it doesn't bother, it plays dumb and looks up at me to get me to do it. The crafty cat has figured out how to get me to open the door because it's too lazy to do it. ;D Believe it or not, this takes brains, this behaviour can't have been preprogrammed: cats evolved long before people or sliding doors. A robot wouldn't be able to do this unless it was specifically programmed -even a cat is far brighter than any AI currently is.

EDIT:
Added quotes and last paragraph.
« Last Edit: 23 January 2010, 21:26 by Aloone_Jonez »
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #16 on: 23 January 2010, 22:14 »
Computers do what they're programmed to do. So if you program a robot to sense things and what seems like a good idea in the physical world and what seems like not a good idea (such as resting your hand on a hot stove), and record and learn from these things: even communicate these things to buddy robots via the internet, maybe you can call it intelligent?

We may never see "intelligent" robots in our lifetime, but if they do everything we program them to, and we program them to learn about the world then if they're programmed correctly they'll do that.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #17 on: 23 January 2010, 23:57 »
One of the reasons AI usually seems so dumb is that we don't really understand our own intelligence.  Like with your cat, you may think that it recognizes you, and you could maybe prove that it recognizes your face, but you will probably never know what it is about your face that makes you recognizable to a cat.  So far, facial recognition is based on theories and experiments, but we don't know for sure how we recognize faces, so it's mostly stabs in the dark.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #18 on: 25 January 2010, 00:53 »
The biggest problem with most modern AI systems is that they don't really think or learn. They are still mainly very scripted preprogrammed things. With just pre-written responses to expected events. The only difference is now is that with the large amount of space and processing power, you can have very large and very complicated "decision trees"

I saw a video from a couple of years ago, and at the time the most sophisticated "learning" AI in the world was only able to do very basic things. Like this certain robot was given a car to play with, the most it was really able to figure out was that the car could only be slid easily forwards/backwards and not side to side, and even with that basic ability the computing hardware required was immense.

I also wouldn't under estimate the intelligence of animals when comparing AI to them. Especially when you consider that (Koko) the Gorilla knows over 2000 words of spoken english, and over 1000 sign-language signs. Your average domestic dog has far higher reasoning and logic skills then chimps and 3 year old human infants.

Facial recognition programs aren't really AI, they just have algorithms designed to look for shapes, ex: ovals, circles, and certain colors. They aren't like, "Oh hey thats a pair of eyes on a human head", its more like "Two ovals within a larger oval/circle - Focus Here"
sig.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: 25 January 2010, 03:34 »
Quote from: worker201
One of the reasons AI usually seems so dumb is that we don't really understand our own intelligence.  Like with your cat, you may think that it recognizes you, and you could maybe prove that it recognizes your face, but you will probably never know what it is about your face that makes you recognizable to a cat.  So far, facial recognition is based on theories and experiments, but we don't know for sure how we recognize faces, so it's mostly stabs in the dark.
You're right, we don't understand our own intelligence, let alone that of other animals. I'm pretty sure my cat recognises me as it's shy around strangers but I can only assume it uses sight, it could be smell but being a visual predator I doubt it, I don't know about dogs though.

The biggest problem with most modern AI systems is that they don't really think or learn. They are still mainly very scripted preprogrammed things. With just pre-written responses to expected events. The only difference is now is that with the large amount of space and processing power, you can have very large and very complicated "decision trees"
Yes, they lack the basic reasoning, all animals with brains seem to have.

I also wouldn't under estimate the intelligence of animals when comparing AI to them. Especially when you consider that (Koko) the Gorilla knows over 2000 words of spoken english, and over 1000 sign-language signs. Your average domestic dog has far higher reasoning and logic skills then chimps and 3 year old human infants.
I know that many animals are more intelligent than human infants but how is a dog brighter than a chimp?

I don't think that's true, unless you're comparing it to a baby chimp or some other ability such as smell.

Facial recognition programs aren't really AI, they just have algorithms designed to look for shapes, ex: ovals, circles, and certain colors. They aren't like, "Oh hey thats a pair of eyes on a human head", its more like "Two ovals within a larger oval/circle - Focus Here"
If I were clever enough to design an AI image recognition system, I would base my design on a mantis shrimp. They're clearly the most intelligent crustaceans with the most complex eyes in the animal kingdom. They have hyper-spectral vision, are sensitive to polarised light and each eye has neurons which processes the information before it gets to the brain. They're capable of recognising each other and there's anecdotal evidence they can recognise people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis_shrimp
http://www.uemis.org/es/magazine/nature_and_science/peacock_mantis_shrimps_pugnacious_predators
http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatfishblog/2008/07/03/mantis-shrimp-order-stomatopoda-–-breaking-research-and-care-in-captivity/

I'm more interested in alternate paths to intelligence: we know it's evolved in mammals but it's present in: birds (not as stupid as people once used to believe), fish (yes sharks are actually quite bright despite their reputation) and invertebrates cephalopods (octopus, cuttle fish and squid), stomatopods (mantis shrimp, see above) and possibly also jumping spiders.

"Crows in urban Japan have innovated a technique to crack hard-shelled nuts by dropping them onto crosswalks and letting them be run over and cracked by cars. They then retrieve the cracked nuts when the cars are stopped at the red light."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_intelligence#Tool_use

Octopus 'turns off' a light which is annoying him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBghUIEfDxg&NR=1#

Octopus opening jar to get its dinner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocWF6d0nelY&feature=related#

These animals have developed brains down a different evolutionary path, especially invertebrates which have totally different nervous systems to ours. Suppose s scientist figures out exactly how we recognise faces? They might believe that it's the only way of doing it until they investigate how a squid does it which is totally different and might be easier for us to develop an implementation.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #20 on: 25 January 2010, 23:58 »
The Dog thing wasn't so much in general intelligence, but they are very good at deducing expressions, and using logic and reasoning to figure out something. For example, a toy was placed under one of two buckets, and a person used a variety of ways of motioning towards it, ex pointing, nodding, hitting the bucket in question, or just looking at it. Dogs were better then Chimps and human infants (I believe also wolves/coyotes) at figuring out there was something significant under that specific bucket.

There is also some evidence suggesting that Dogs are also aware that people and other animals are a separate entity them from themselves and that a person / other animal may not have the same wants and desires of them.

I've seen stuff on squids/octopuses before, and they really are quite smart animals!
sig.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: 26 January 2010, 00:05 »
Dogs can be smart - but they also chase their own tails.  And they're such craven creatures - a dog who has overeaten of its own food will still gladly accept any scraps from your table, even if it leads to vomiting.

I personally think all creatures, even humans, become 100x more interesting after they learn to read.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: 26 January 2010, 01:19 »
Lots of so-called intelligent animals do stupid things

My cats will play with string and will swallow it if I let them, fortunately I only allow them to swallow an inch or so before I stop them: I've heard stories about cats how have swallowed string and it getting tangled in their intestines.

Humans are the worst, they get intoxicated to the point of being ill and vomiting the morning after, then go and do it all again.

Believe it or not, I actually see this as a sign of intelligence. No doubt the dog knows it'll be sick if it eats to much but it enjoys eating so is willing to take the risk. My cats probably know that string has no nutritional value but they love playing and chewing it, although I doubt they know it can rip their insides to shreds.

It's often hard to compare animals which have seemingly comparable cognitive abilities: which is more intelligent dogs or cats?

I've only owned cats so I can't really say but people often have the debate. You can't teach a cat to do tricks like you can a dog but it isn't a pack animal so has no motive to please you. Cats will on the other hand get you to do the work for them, as in my experience with my cats and the sliding doors. I don't know myself and I will be biased towards cats but people probably can relate to dogs more because, being a pack animal, they have better social skills. Scientists have speculated in the past that intelligence evolved in social animals but this has been proven wrong time and time again form orangutans to octopuses which are bright but solitary.

The octopus is often said to have the same mental capacity as a cat but I don't see how they can draw such a comparison for the same reasons as above.

Then there's the mirror test: if an animal can recognise itself in a mirror it's said to have self awareness. I don't agree with that myself, an animal might be self aware, it just might not have the visual mental capacity to understand how mirrors work. If an animal can be proven to understand that what it sees in a mirror is a reflection but it can't recognise itself then it obviously doesn't have self awareness. I experiment with my cats but somehow, I don't think they're bright enough to understand mirrors.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: 26 January 2010, 05:32 »
No doubt the dog knows it'll be sick if it eats to much but it enjoys eating so is willing to take the risk.

Actually, I think dogs are genetically programmed to eat as much as they can at every possible opportunity.  For one, some of them are extremely active, and need energy.  But also, dogs are scavengers by nature, and they don't know when the next meal is going to be.

It's often hard to compare animals which have seemingly comparable cognitive abilities: which is more intelligent dogs or cats?

I think cats are more intelligent.  For genetic reasons - they're stealth hunters.  Whereas a dog who hunts will do so by brute force - chasing down its prey noisily.  Also, cats can be trained, provided it is something they want to do.  I had a cat with dewclaws on all 4 paws, and she learned how to open kitchen cabinets, just by viewing the procedure a couple times.  That being said, I think the cat vs dog intelligence question says a lot about people.  People who respond dog usually do so because dogs learn tricks.  People who respond cat usually do so because cats have such independent personalities.

Then there's the mirror test: if an animal can recognise itself in a mirror it's said to have self awareness. I don't agree with that myself, an animal might be self aware, it just might not have the visual mental capacity to understand how mirrors work. If an animal can be proven to understand that what it sees in a mirror is a reflection but it can't recognise itself then it obviously doesn't have self awareness. I experiment with my cats but somehow, I don't think they're bright enough to understand mirrors.

Mirror experiments with dolphins have astoundingly positive results.  After just a couple minutes, dolphins start to make faces at themselves, and they seem to understand not only that they are viewing their own reflections, but that the reflections are flipped horizontally.  Which may be genetic - after all, water is one of the most reflective substances on earth.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: 27 January 2010, 19:40 »
I think cats are more intelligent.  For genetic reasons - they're stealth hunters.  Whereas a dog who hunts will do so by brute force - chasing down its prey noisily.  Also, cats can be trained, provided it is something they want to do.  I had a cat with dewclaws on all 4 paws, and she learned how to open kitchen cabinets, just by viewing the procedure a couple times.  That being said, I think the cat vs dog intelligence question says a lot about people.  People who respond dog usually do so because dogs learn tricks.  People who respond cat usually do so because cats have such independent personalities.
Could you be biased? Have you owned both cats and dogs?

I don't know whether my cats learned how to open the sliding doors by observational learning or whether they figured it out from themselves. My guess it's it was a mixture of both: they observed that it's possible to open the doors but they figured out how to do it themselves.

Then there's the problem with comparing the intelligence of two very different animals.

There's a debate about whether the octopus can learn  from observation which has never been proved beyond reasonable doubt but I think it's more intelligent to figure things out for yourself. It's known that cats can from observation but a cat can't open a jar and an octopus can, there again a cat doesn't have eight separate arms covered in suckers, containing twice as many neurons as its brain.

Mirror experiments with dolphins have astoundingly positive results.  After just a couple minutes, dolphins start to make faces at themselves, and they seem to understand not only that they are viewing their own reflections, but that the reflections are flipped horizontally.  Which may be genetic - after all, water is one of the most reflective substances on earth.

Here's my favourite video of an animal seeing itself, the first minute isn't very interesting so skip it if you like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-DusaSVHmM#

Cuttlefish can see polarised light so I suppose it looks different in the LCD viewfinder. I like the way it reacts but it doesn't prove it recognises itself .