Author Topic: Funeral for IE6  (Read 1737 times)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Funeral for IE6
« on: 5 March 2010, 01:56 »
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/03/04/ie6.funeral/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

Internet Explorer Six, resident of the interwebs for over 8 years, died the morning of March 1, 2010 in Mountain View, California, as a result of a workplace injury sustained at the headquarters of Google, Inc.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: Funeral for IE6
« Reply #1 on: 5 March 2010, 15:55 »
A bit premature?

MS are going to keep supporting IE6 for another four years.:(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8196242.stm
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #2 on: 5 March 2010, 23:33 »
That's too bad for MS and their customers, then, because Google has already ceased support for IE6, and other major developers have plans to do so as well.  According to the article, IE6 is still the most popular browser on the internet, but most of its users are corporate clients who have their intranets and other local network services tied to specific IE functionality.  Really, it's unbelievable how much infrastructure in corporate and public sector IT is custom-built on technology that died 5-10 years ago.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #3 on: 6 March 2010, 00:11 »
I've never understood why MS didn't release IE 7 for Windows 2000?

No ones going to buy XP, just for IE 7, MS are only hurting themselves because the Windows 2000 users who are fed up with IE 6 will just switch to Firefox or Opera.

MS should release IE 9 for XP, if they don't, they'll just loose more users to other browsers.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #4 on: 6 March 2010, 11:00 »
If I even test a website in IE I just use whatever version happens to be installed.  I'm guessing it's 7 in Vista?  IE only websites are very rare nowadays though, and that's great.

reactosguy

• Kudos: 2
    • Microsoft Sucks !!!
« Reply #5 on: 8 March 2010, 05:32 »
MS should release IE 9 for XP, if they don't, they'll just loose more users to other browsers.

Shhh, some Microsoftist can sneak this piece of code for use in Redmond! :D

That's too bad for MS and their customers, then, because Google has already ceased support for IE6, and other major developers have plans to do so as well.

So has YouTube.

According to the article, IE6 is still the most popular browser on the internet, but most of its users are corporate clients who have their intranets and other local network services tied to specific IE functionality.

That can be attributed to MS's server side technologies being used in many intranets.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2010, 17:07 »
but most of its users are corporate clients who have their intranets and other local network services tied to specific IE functionality
true. here at work, it's IE6.0.2800.1106IC - prehistoric almost.

i don't even test my site in IE anymore (my bad?) - except by accident. If i saw some issue, i'd try to fix it though but i just use very basic html.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2010, 23:29 »
Does IE8 have Quirks Mode anymore? Maybe that's why Google dumped support for 6. Both IE7 and IE8 are available for download and installation without the Windows authenticity check.  There is really no reason not to upgrade to IE8. IE7 sux horribly.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2010, 13:46 »
There is really no reason not to upgrade to IE8.
will it run under ubuntu? If not, i can think of one very big reason why i can't "up"grade to IE8.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #9 on: 22 March 2010, 05:17 »
IE7 is terrible. IE8 is better, but still quite sluggish. It just feels bloated and clunky using it.
sig.