Author Topic: Word - we dropped the ball  (Read 3202 times)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: Word - we dropped the ball
« Reply #15 on: 30 December 2009, 04:25 »
Didn't I tell you about that on MicrosoftSucks.org?
Yes you did, I didn't hear of it before until then. Apparently, it's made by Novell, to progress the adoption of OpenOffice.org.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #16 on: 30 December 2009, 16:22 »
It looks good.

I'll probably change to it when 3.2 comes out.

It says it supports SVG import as if the Sun stock install doesn't. I'm using OOo 3.3.1 on Fedora which supports SVG, I don't know whether if the standard Windows build does or if it's jut the Fedora build that's special.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #17 on: 30 December 2009, 17:12 »
It looks good.

I'll probably change to it when 3.2 comes out.

It says it supports SVG import as if the Sun stock install doesn't. I'm using OOo 3.3.1 on Fedora which supports SVG, I don't know whether if the standard Windows build does or if it's jut the Fedora build that's special.
The Ubuntu build of OpenOffice.org is already Go-OO. Maybe it's the same for Fedora.
You can test that. If you can open this, you got Go-OO:
http://go-oo.org/discover/go-vba-hypo.xls

I also found OxygenOffice Professional. Which looks like the ultimate OpenOffice.org version.
It's basically OpenOffice.org + Go-OO + Lots of templates + Lots of clipart. Nice.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: 30 December 2009, 18:13 »
It loads but the scripts don't run even though I enabled macros so I take it I've got the standard OOo version?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: 30 December 2009, 19:40 »
I've just tried it under Windows and it loads but the script doesn't run.

The Windows build doesn't support SVG.

I conclude that the Fedora build isn't Go-OO but it does have additional features such as SGV added by Fedora.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 22 January 2010, 15:08 »
It looks like MS Office has been fixed so there's no big deal.
http://www.king5.com/news/business/79912212.html

I also found a decent discussion on another forum.
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33313

I like the idea of banning software patents, at least for very minor "innovations" which don't effect interoperability and that real patents should have to have a real working prototype before being accepted.

Does anyone know when OpenOffice.org 3.2 is going to be released?

I keep being tempted to try out the release candidate but I always try to stick with stable software and avoid beta where ever possible. I'll probably go with go-oo or OxiygenOffice next anyway.

What do you lot think of the ribbon interface for MS Office?

I've seen screenshots of ribbon and don't I like it, it seems to take up too much room on the screen. Wikipedia says that OOo 3.3 is going to have a similar interface. I hope it's going to be good.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/49/Impress_Prototype.png

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: 25 March 2010, 13:37 »
I've been using Go-OO ever since 3.2 came out and I'm pretty pleased with it. It's much faster than OpenOffice which I now deem to be shit. The only bug I've noticed is that the windows sometimes refuse to close which can be a pain, I don't know whether this bug is common to the original OO.o but I'm now upgrading to 3.2.13 in the hope it's been fixed.

I don't see why people use the original version, not when there's a much better one available, probably because of lack of marketing.

EDIT:
It appears that I was currently using the most up to date version so I've needlessly uninstalled and reinstalled it.:(

Oh well, hopefully the bug will be fixed in the next version.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2010, 13:50 by Aloone_Jonez »