Author Topic: browsers cont.  (Read 3683 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
browsers cont.
« on: 14 January 2010, 02:10 »
since our software is broke and wouldnt accept my reply in the opera thread i started a new thread

I didn't know that Firefox did not have skins, Opera has had that for years, Chrome has had that feature since day one and even IE has been skinable sine 6 but it wasn't easy to use. No doubt that skins, oh sorry Personas, have been added to compete with Chrome.

I don't know any Java and only a tiny bit of html so Jetpack won't me much use to me. It sounds like one of those wonderful geeky tools that's brilliant for programmers. Does it pose a potential security vulnerability though?

What about security? Are there any plans to do as Chrome does and load every tab as a separate process so one page crashing doesn't take the whole browser down?

I didn't know that Firefox did not have skins, Opera has had that for years, Chrome has had that feature since day one and even IE has been skinable sine 6 but it wasn't easy to use. No doubt that skins, oh sorry Personas, have been added to compete with Chrome.
Peronas are a Firefox innovation. They were in Mozilla labs as an extension for a good while. They now have 35k themes before the debut with firefox 3.6.
I don't know any Java and only a tiny bit of html so Jetpack won't me much use to me. It sounds like one of those wonderful geeky tools that's brilliant for programmers. Does it pose a potential security vulnerability though?
"wonderful geeky tools that's brilliant for programmers" I think when they're thinking about replacing Firefoxes extension system (but realistically will complement it for the forseeable future) with a better new idea, it is indeed brilliant for programmers but that is damn good for users too. Of course there are security concerns to be dealt with as there was for the add on system firefox has. See attached for the install page when installing jetpacks. (i have a small screen so there are 2 pics. btw firefox 3.6 supports multiple file uploads, drag and drop uploads and xmlhttprequest uploads from html 5. see http://hacks.mozilla.org/2009/12/uploading-files-with-xmlhttprequest/ for blog post and video)
What about security? Are there any plans to do as Chrome does and load every tab as a separate process so one page crashing doesn't take the whole browser down?
yes.

also most crashes come from plugins and firefox does out of process plugins since 3.5 i think
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

piratePenguin

• VIP
Re: browsers cont.
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2010, 02:10 »

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2010, 02:10 »
software breaks ur post if you try to attach two files. gaaaaaay

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2010, 19:37 »
I get a timed out message when posting more than one attachment.

EDIT:
I've found that editing the post and adding another attachment works.

By the way, I've just got Firefox 3.6 and tested the personas feature. It's not as good as Opera skins which alters the entire user interface. Personally I don't care one way or the other, I don't use the themes on Opera, on Windows I have it set for the system them and under Linux it's set to the classic Opera 9 theme.

I do know though that some people value superficial things like the user interface, visual styles and skins more than important things like security and will be amazed by themes. ;)

See the attachments. Sorry about the quality, unfortunately I had to convert to 8-bit PNG and low quality JPG to fit them into the limit 192kB total attachments per post.
« Last Edit: 25 January 2010, 19:50 by Aloone_Jonez »
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2010, 13:57 »
personas are in addition to the themes firefox always supported - see attached.

piratePenguin

• VIP

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2010, 22:13 »
So Personas essentially let you tweak any part of the UI you want? So its possible to say run a certain theme, with a different set of UI buttons?
sig.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2010, 22:49 »
So Personas essentially let you tweak any part of the UI you want? So its possible to say run a certain theme, with a different set of UI buttons?
Nope its actually got less of the functionality of Firefox themes. It's just a seemless way to change the background of the browser using the standard theme. It seems like it's retarded, but yet it's genius imo.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2010, 22:53 »
Oh, so essentially just changing the background of the basic grey/blueish/whatever (depends on OS) navigation/bookmarks bar?
sig.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2010, 14:15 »
Trying out 3.6 rc2 and Personas right now, and it's wicked.  It's like a skin, but only the background is skinned.  Looks fucking awesome.

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2010, 23:53 »
Just installed 3.6 earlier today, haven't tried messing around with Personas yet. Wonder why I didn't get an autoupdate thing that 3.6 was released?

EDIT: Just started messing around with Personas, and I have to say they're pretty awesome! I also think the mouse-over "instant change" thing is pretty slick as well.
« Last Edit: 1 March 2010, 00:00 by Lead Head »
sig.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #11 on: 1 March 2010, 05:32 »
It hasn't been officially released yet.  Release candidates are like gamma test versions, in that gamma is the letter after alpha and beta - they're pretty sure it's ready for release, but they want to make doubly sure.  I think 3.5 got up to RC4 before it was officially released.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 1 March 2010, 20:47 »
Are you sure its not officially released yet? Its the current version they list on the GetFirefox.com site.
sig.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: 1 March 2010, 22:15 »
Indeed 3.6 is released stable a good while at this stage. I don't know how you got a release candidate worker? Unless the OS X version is lagging behind, which I doubt?

Release candidates are exactly that - candidates for release. If there are no issues found in them in a week or so of testing, they are released. If problems are found then they're fixed and a new release candidate put up.

Lead head, you don't get an auto-update notification for major new updates to Firefox until your current version of Firefox is unsupported (this does pretty much have to be the way), that's not for a good while yet.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #14 on: 1 March 2010, 22:52 »
I remember that Netscape allowed you to customise your browser the same way that Personas do.