Author Topic: Could the greatest desktop environment be a free one?  (Read 5574 times)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
Re: Could the greatest desktop environment be a free one?
« Reply #15 on: 9 March 2010, 01:15 »
I think one thing is the ever changing definition of an old low-end computer. 4-5 years ago, something low end and old would be a 1GHz P3 - 1.8GHz P4, or an old AMD Athlon. Now an old low end computer is a 2.0GHz+ Athlon 64 system with 512MB + of ram. You see those older Athlon 64 systems selling for less then $100 all the time.
sig.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #16 on: 9 March 2010, 09:46 »
Now an old low end computer is a 2.0GHz+ Athlon 64 system with 512MB + of ram. You see those older Athlon 64 systems selling for less then $100 all the time.
Which is great.

Goodness knows why so many people buy new computers, just for browsing the Internet, word processing and watching a few DVDs on when they could get and old PC that will do all of that for a fraction of the cost. I suppose they succumb to the marketing hype from Ballmer and co.

The the main problem with modern bloated software is the RAM, but most motherboards from a that era can take up to 4GB RAM which will make them reasonably future proof and as RAM upgrades get cheaper, it becomes more worth while. It's probably still a good idea to replace the hard drive, as it's a common thing to fail and you'll notice a performance boost going from a POS IDE 5800RPM drive to a 7200RPM drive.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #17 on: 9 March 2010, 10:28 »
I think one thing is the ever changing definition of an old low-end computer. 4-5 years ago, something low end and old would be a 1GHz P3 - 1.8GHz P4, or an old AMD Athlon. Now an old low end computer is a 2.0GHz+ Athlon 64 system with 512MB + of ram. You see those older Athlon 64 systems selling for less then $100 all the time.
I'd say the ever-changing definition of a low-end computer is towards computers with 'slow', but efficient cpus (Atom 1.6Ghz on eee pcs) and a gig or more of ram?

And I guess it's not incidental that this coincides with software using more ram for cache and generally using more memory nowadays, my guess is this is by far the best way for a computer to deliver a better experience?

Until about 12 months ago I was using an athlon xp 2600+ with 300ish mb of ram, I did NOT have a problem with running gnome, firefox and anything I wanted. Then again, I didn't keep the process manager open to add up the numbers either, and to make sure my ram wouldn't get (gasp) full. There's a memory manager in Linux, and it works like a charm. I've tried it.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #18 on: 9 March 2010, 12:19 »
I actually think this is a pretty cool idea: run moblin or android on your old computers :D
There may actually be incompatibilities with old hardware however, I don't know. I must try moblin on this netbook sometime, it looks fucking sexy.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #19 on: 16 March 2010, 16:39 »
hi worker and PP, sorry i forgot to mention, i'm pretty sure i have put in 768MB of RAM in total to the PC (should have mentioned that) but can't check right now as i'm not at home.

I agree with what you both say, but my main gripe is the non-scalability (in terms of required spec) of virtually all modern linux systems. It used to be that you got a super fast linux system with all the whistles and bells if you ran it on a modern machine, but you really could run it on anything all the way back to a 386, with varying degrees of success depending on RAM, CPU and HDD speed and all the usuals. Nowadays, you're screwed with most linux systems if you haven't got the latest kit, plus hardware incompatibilities seem to crop up (for me anyway) more than in the past, are they just not fixing them, thinking people should just upgrade their hardware? This is the microsoft model. Disappointing if so.

So, now users of linux OSs are in the forced hardware upgrade cycle too, and stupidly, linux vendors don't even get a kickback from this, it's just a product of their laziness. At leas MS always had a monetary incentive to force hardware upgrades. :-(
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #20 on: 1 June 2010, 18:38 »
hi worker and PP, sorry i forgot to mention, i'm pretty sure i have put in 768MB of RAM in total to the PC (should have mentioned that) but can't check right now as i'm not at home.

How is it in the 19th century?

I'd say the ever-changing definition of a low-end computer is towards computers with 'slow', but efficient cpus (Atom 1.6Ghz on eee pcs) and a gig or more of ram?

Maybe when your computers all run off of peat bogs. Over here in the coal capital of the world, it's typically 3.6ghz+ computers and they come quite cheap since it takes them less time to travel to China. The difference with aussies getting shit from China is we had our own money and a good mining industry for a while. We don't depend entirely on Chinese investors buying bonds to maintain our currency or Government spending (until the lefttards came along). Yeah, I am off topic, but you people all live in a Ghetto.

I'd welcome you all to come and live, but you'd be more likely to get in painting yourself in blackface, going to Sudan, and pretending you are a refugee than the legal methods at the moment. And unfortunately, a gun is held at my childrens heads to be robbed for taxation if I don't vote for the xenophobic mystic fucking Christian conservatives this year.

I am offtopic again.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #21 on: 1 June 2010, 20:28 »
I don't like having to keep upgrading either. However, as long as it's possible to run the latest Linux on a five year old PC, I don't see the big deal as you can get old hardware for next to nothing or often free if you go to your local dump.

I got most of my current PC for almost nothing from my brother. It has a 2GHz single core 64-bit Atheon processor, a PC3200 board, 1GB of RAM, a dual layer DVD writer and a CD writer. The only part I paid for was the hard drive, a 10,000rpm 150GB Raptor which I got purely for speed and it still isn't even half full. I run Windows XP and Fedora (dual boot). Windows boots very quickly and most the programs load instantly, even OpenOffice which takes about a second to load Writer with the quickstarter running.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #22 on: 2 June 2010, 22:43 »
I have three TBs of hard drive space. Two 500gb disks in RAID 0 and two 1TB disks in a spanned Windows Dynamic Disk (basically a shitty RAID 0), like any software RAID.