Operating Systems > Linux and UNIX

Longhorn Linux? Really?

(1/6) > >>

reactosguy:
http://www.longhorn.tk/

These people are introducing Longhorn Linux, a Linux distro with its GUI customized to look like Vista's Aero.  :D

Do YOU think it's great? Fail?  ::)

Aloone_Jonez:
Why Vista?

Isn't Windows 7 better?

I don't know since I've used neither OS.

Wow Vista has been out for over three years now and I still haven't even used it; should I be proud of that? :D

Refalm:
There's been a lot of these kinds of projects. And they aren't always as popular as the project members think they will be.

Ubuntu is popular because of GNOME, which is a simple and beautiful GUI, and Ubuntu's apt front-end which makes it easy to install applications and run updates.

The Longhorn Linux team should have tried to mimic Windows 7. At least Windows 7 has Snap, and the Longhorn team could've written a Compiz plugin to introduce that feature in Linux.

But now, there's no real advantage of mimicking Vista in Linux.

reactosguy:

--- Quote from: Refalm on 11 March 2010, 12:09 ---There's been a lot of these kinds of projects. And they aren't always as popular as the project members think they will be.

Ubuntu is popular because of GNOME, which is a simple and beautiful GUI, and Ubuntu's apt front-end which makes it easy to install applications and run updates.

The Longhorn Linux team should have tried to mimic Windows 7. At least Windows 7 has Snap, and the Longhorn team could've written a Compiz plugin to introduce that feature in Linux.

But now, there's no real advantage of mimicking Vista in Linux.

--- End quote ---

I agree that they aren't popular.

But they couldn't mimic Windows 7. It started in the beginning of 2009 and mimicking Windows 7 would've taken longer.

But in the future, ReactOS shall take the role of Windows 7 mimicking.

davidnix71:
If they really want to make it look like Windoze, it needs some fake virus scans to randomly popup when the user is surfing the net telling the user that their computer is infected and they need to buy anti-virus protection now from someone in the Ukraine. And Blue Screen at random intervals that force the user to reboot. Maybe a system tray popup that says the OS may not be "Genuine." and ask for a cd key and permission to call home to authenticate.

They should add security popups like the really annoying UAC Vista hits you with every time you actually try to do something..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version