Miscellaneous > The Lounge

R.I.P. Microsuck.com

<< < (2/5) > >>

reactosguy:
I don't get it. Why did CommonSense sell the domains when Microsuck.com was so popular? According to Alexa.com, Microsuck.com, despite being sold, attracted 1,684,202 visitors, with 623,189 of them from the US, all on March 25 2010 at 4:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time (US/Canada). ( http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/microsuck.com )

But back to the question, CommonSense wrote this page on Ask Metafilter at http://ask.metafilter.com/71471/How-much-would-YOU-pay-for-Microsuckcom . It said that he had debt and was so busy that e-mail messages had a 5% chance of being replied to. Furthermore, he gets a lot of spam from pro-Microsoft supporters (such as Akronan, on the archived 2006 feedback page).

I also wonder why he sells his domains at inflated prices. The Ask Metafilter page says that he has a lot of debt, but I'm not so sure. Is this really true? I'm very sorry if this is a lot of questions to answer.

Lead Head:
Yes, he is in a lot of debt. Those credit cards can be some really evil things.

Aloone_Jonez:
If he was in that much debt I would've thought he would've sold it by now.

He's not making any money out of Microsuck now is he?

The site was so popular, he could added some advertising for alternatives to Microsoft which could've paid for the site's upkeep plus a little pocket money for him to pay off his debts but he stubbornly refused and decided to leave it inactive until someone offers a ridicules amount of money for it, which will probably never happen.

reactosguy:
CommonSense wasn't making much off his site despite the fact that he sold POP Mail accounts for $29 USD and Virtual Host domains for $5 USD.

Those weren't popular. Maybe he could have signed up for some e-commerce site (CafePress.com?) where users can buy Microsuck.com t-shirts, mugs and posters. NOW that would've attracted some attention.

Oh and he had a PayPal donate button at the bottom of the sidebar of the 2006 version of Microsuck.com (through Wayback Machine).

Aloone_Jonez:

--- Quote from: reactosguy on 27 March 2010, 16:00 ---Those weren't popular. Maybe he could have signed up for some e-commerce site (CafePress.com?) where users can buy Microsuck.com t-shirts, mugs and posters. NOW that would've attracted some attention.
--- End quote ---
He tried that.

--- Quote ---Oh and he had a PayPal donate button at the bottom of the sidebar of the 2006 version of Microsuck.com (through Wayback Machine).

--- End quote ---
I'm sure I remember a way of being able to donate, I can't remember whether PayPal was accepted or what.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version