Author Topic: Windows only IT departments don't know shit  (Read 1409 times)

SAJChurchey

• Kudos: 0
    • http://sajchurchey.htmlplanet.com
Windows only IT departments don't know shit
« Reply #15 on: 10 January 2003, 02:11 »
Well the IT person should be the one fixing the problems.  not the end user.  What's the purpose of an IT dept. that does nothing but tell the end user to reinstall.  It kind of defeats the purpose.

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: SAJChurchey ]

SAJChurchey                    

DJ

• http://mypage.iu.edu/~dpjackso
« Reply #16 on: 10 January 2003, 08:04 »
Like a mechanic telling you your transmission is bad and the only way to fix it is for you to put in a new one, then charging you for it, like you don't already know something is really wrong hahahaha

Dj
=)

SAJChurchey

« Reply #17 on: 10 January 2003, 08:26 »
Here's something for you Mac lovers out there.  This is why IT is forbidden to touch any Macs on campus:

The yearbook needed to downgrade to OS 9.2 for some reason (I think OS X had issues w/ their printer or something).  The yearbook president discusses this with them to see if it is doable, and in no way did he say "come in and do this ASAP."  He was just thinking about it.

When he comes in the next day, OS X boots up normally, but all of the files are gone.  All the pictures for this year are gone.

They reinstalled OS X trying to get the printer to work the second time 'round, and they didn't back up any data on the HD.  All the pictures that cannot be replaced were lost b/c they're not used to having data on a computer at any given time.

Since then IT is not allowed to touch any Mac on campus.  A MacUser student organization runs a help desk for it instead.
SAJChurchey                    

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #18 on: 10 January 2003, 08:59 »
That is pretty stupid and they shouldn't be allowed to touch *any* machines, not just the Macs, because the results would be the same. However, you are playing with fire by not having them backed up in the first place  or keep these important images on a server that is backed up. What if your hard drive zaps, or there is a fire, or the computer is stolen or vandalized?

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: void main ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

SAJChurchey

« Reply #19 on: 10 January 2003, 21:10 »
Attention to detail (or common sense for that matter) is obviously not a concern anymore.
SAJChurchey                    

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #20 on: 10 January 2003, 21:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by void main:
That is pretty stupid and they shouldn't be allowed to touch *any* machines

Damn. You beat me to it.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #21 on: 10 January 2003, 21:28 »
heh. that sounds like the iMacs in the lab I  watched over fall of 01 semester.

Our IT director at Destitute State... er, I mean Arkansas State is a cross-platform guy, but everyone else there is an idiot.

Okay, there's an issue that I'm having getting the iMacs to connect to the outside world. Namely, the school's DHCP server is a turd,  along with their shiteater routers. So, I call the IT morons and ask 'em what they did to their server today, and the guy kinda mumbled and said he needed to come "do some stuff" on the iMacs.

So, just to fuck with him, I restarted all of 'em to OS X (this was sucky ass 10.0, BTW and it was still better than what they had). For the life of me, I don't know how, but that solved the problem. All of the software we needed was running fine in Classic, so I decided to leave 'em in X. I was getting the 10.1 update that weekend, so, I'd fix 'em all up then!

Okay. The guy never shows up, and he doesn't come by until late Monday, after all of 'em had 10.1 installed on 'em. He comes in, sits down at one, and pulls out an OS 8.5 CD (which won't even install on these things... they require 9.1 or higher!) I immediately ask him what he's doing... "reinstalling".

So, after ten minutes of so, of me rolling on the floor laughing at his stupidity, I told him to leave because they worked fine now. He looked stunned and left.

Windroids are dumb.
Go the fuck ~

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #22 on: 10 January 2003, 13:10 »
somebody was telling me on another forum that these windoids only go crawling up microsoft's ass because they don't know of things like linux et c, he said it's not fair to call people stupid when they don't know any better, but stories like this make me think that, yes, they really are just stupid fucktards!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Interscope

« Reply #23 on: 10 January 2003, 18:15 »
Nice stories you people got there.

Although it isn't his official job my dad is IT Manager at the small company he works, thank god he has experience with Linux, DOS and Windows(and probably Unix, if that is the stuff they learned the tech service of the army in Yugoslavia to use) or that company would be doomed.

He spent a day removing a trojan from the network(well, not really, he was also trying to find out how it worked and he trojaned our home network too to play around, so now my dad is an official script kidde  :D  )
Free it, goddamnit!

Computer security is very much like home security - you can take as many security precautions as you like but if you leave windows open, sooner or later you'll get broken into. - (Calum 2003)

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

• Kudos: 125
« Reply #24 on: 10 January 2003, 20:27 »
A guy (Adam)i know works for a web design company but provides tech support over the phone.  One phone call on Monday morning goes like this:

Caller (end user): My monitor is dead, the computer is not working, i move the mouse nothing happens.

Adam:  Okay, is there a light on the pc case.

Caller:  Whats the pc case?  This doesn't have one.

Adam:  Okay, is this a Mac because normally only macs don't have cases?

Caller:  No this isn't a Mac.

Adam:  Okay well there should be a "metallic box" with a couple of buttons.

Caller:  Nope, i havn't got one.

Adam: Is it under the desk?

Caller:  O Wait, i see this box with some buttons on it.

Adam:  Push the button.

Caller:  O its working now!

What happened was it was a new week and after she had left on the Friday afternoon the IT people had turned the computer off, must of been the first time they had EVER turned it off because she had never had this problem before.  She also never realised what was underneath her desk all this time either.

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Crunchy(Cracked)Butter ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #25 on: 10 January 2003, 21:54 »
one of our engineers here at work had an embarrasing moment last week.

i got a call from the big head of our dept, asking if i could locate a particular PC (all the incoming and outgoing new and old PCs come through our office) and this particular one was an old PC being replaced with a new one by this engineer. Anyway, i looked for the paperwork and i found the paperwork to show that the new PC had been collected for installation by the engineer something like 3 weeks before, but could not find any record that the engineer had brought the old PC back to us.
Well about three hours later after the whole place and a few other offices had all been searching their records, the engineers had been riffling through their paperwork and so on, the engineer concerned finally went upstairs to the user's desk. He said "you know that PC i replaced a few weeks ago?... I took it away didn't i?" and she said "No, it's here under my desk." and it had been for three weeks before anybody thought to chase it up!

Perhaps we could find a lot of our old IT equipment this way. also, i wanted to point out that sometimes it's not the users who make the mistakes!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

SAJChurchey

« Reply #26 on: 11 January 2003, 00:03 »
End users are idiots a lot of the time.  That's why they need good IT depts. to make up for a moronic work force.  We're the ones who control and understand the technology behind business.  We are the shepards and they're the flocks.  

But if the IT dept. doesn't know shit, and the end user is assumed to know absolutely nothing.  Your business is just not living up to it's potential.
SAJChurchey                    

solo

• Kudos: 1
    • http://www.komodolinux.org/
« Reply #27 on: 11 January 2003, 01:29 »
the it directors at my school seem to think that linux is a toy os. when i asked them about putting linux on 1 or 2 pcs in each lab they wer e like 'you can play around and have fun with linux etc at home'. ok now i told them very seriously that they need to re-evaluate their definitions of serious os's and toy os's. then i started walking away and thought about it again, and soon i needed oxygen i was laughing so hard
Komodoware, moving Linux to your desktop.
http://www.komodoware.com/

Fett101

• VIP
  • Kudos: 85
    • http://fgmma.com
« Reply #28 on: 11 January 2003, 03:24 »
I feel sorry for those tech support guys after reading this crap.

Crunchy(Cracked)Butter

• Kudos: 125
« Reply #29 on: 11 January 2003, 04:09 »
From the link provided above:

#  Customer: "I installed Windows 98 on my computer, and it doesn't work."
# Tech Support: "Ok, what happens when you turn on your computer?"
# Customer: "Boy, are you listening? I said it doesn't work."
# Tech Support: "Well, what happens when you TRY to turn it on?"
# Customer: "Look, I'm not a computer person. Talk regular English, not this computer talk, ok?"
# Tech Support: "Ok, let's assume your computer is turned off, and you just sat down in front of it, and want to use it. What do you do?"
# Customer: "Don't talk like I'm stupid, boy. I turn it on."
# Tech Support: "And then what happens?"
# Customer: "What do you mean?"
# Tech Support: "Does anything appear on your monitor? I mean, the TV part."
# Customer: "The same thing I saw last time I tried."
# Tech Support: "And that is what?"
# Customer: "Are you sure you know what you're doing?"
# Tech Support: "Yes, sir. What is on your screen?"
# Customer: "A bunch of little pictures."
# Tech Support: "Ok, in the upper left corner, do you see 'My Computer'."
# Customer: "No, all I see is that little red circle thing with the chunk out of it."
# Tech Support: "You mean an apple?"
# Customer: "I guess it kind of looks like an apple."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA