Operating Systems > Linux and UNIX

Rolling Again

<< < (5/5)

worker201:
I specifically chose this graphics card (and every other part of this computer) because it was 100% supported by Linux.  At the time that I bought it, it was necessary to download drivers for it, but nowdays, it's supported out of the box.

worker201:
Oh boy, wireless networking.  I didn't have a wireless network at home, so i never had to worry about configuration.  But now that I'm on the road, I have to figure out how to get this going.  Fedora recognizes my card, which is an Intel Pro 3945ABG.  The package that adds the firmware into the kernel seems to be pre-installed, but there must be some sort of configuration step.  I've tried Googling for this info, but I keep getting results that are relevant to Fedora 7 or 8, from before the driver code was merged into the kernel source.

Here's the output from iwconfig, if it means anything to you.

--- Code: ---lo no wireless extensions

eth0 no wireless extensions

irda0 no wireless extensions

wmaster0 no wireless extensions

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abg ESSID:" "
Mode: Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=off
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal Level:0 Noise Level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc: 0 Missed beacon:0
--- End code ---

Assistance much appreciated.  This isn't a priority issue - it is my second computer, after all.

Kintaro:
Well, NetworkManager should do the hard work for you but barring that, here is the hard way.

Configure /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf so it looks a bit like this...

--- Code: ---ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
ssid="Acropolis"
scan_ssid=1
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk="XXXXXXXX"
}

--- End code ---

And run it like this
# wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
the -B switch runs it as a daemon in the background, to get your IP for the interface....
# dhclient wlan0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version