Operating Systems > macOS

Still the official OS of design

<< < (2/3) > >>

worker201:
I can't believe you don't see those differences.  It's like night and day to me.

reactosguy:

--- Quote from: worker201 on  5 April 2010, 20:37 ---For a long time, the conventional wisdom was that Macs were great for graphic design.  Originally, that's because important programs like Quark and Macromedia Director and Adobe Photoshop were only available on the Mac.  Eventually, these programs were brought to the Windows platform - but the Mac OS was designed from the ground up for drag and drop between programs, something that Windows was late to cash in on.  Now that Windows can do drag&drop, it seems like there is no particular advantage to using a Mac for design.  If you can stand the viruses and the crashes and the childish inteface, a Windows system is just as viable as a Mac.  Right?

--- End quote ---

That's the words of a Windows evangelist.

--- Quote from: worker201 link=topic=12344.msg135325#msg135325   date=1270492629 ---Wrong.  After watching a recent documentary about typefaces, it seems clear that Helvetica is the most used font/typeface on the planet.  Everything, from street signs to Microsoft's logo, is done in Helvetica.  At various times over the past 50 years, designers have cycled between love and hate for the typeface.  It's not unreasonable to say that you can't be a professional designer unless you have Helvetica.

--- End quote ---

Really? I usually use Calibri or other sans serif fonts.

--- Quote from: worker201 link=topic=12344.msg135325#msg135325   date=1270492629 ---Apple and OS X provide Helvetica.  By purchasing a Mac, you are purchasing a license to use Helvetica in your designs.  Windows does not provide Helvetica.

--- End quote ---

I thought I had Helvetica.

--- Quote from: worker201 link=topic=12344.msg135325#msg135325   date=1270492629 ---Admittedly, it's not a big thing - you can buy Windows versions of the 4 Helvetica fonts that a Mac provides for $104 direct from Linotype.  But it is something.

--- End quote ---

Windows evangelist: It's only $104. Combine the font prices and the cost of Windows and boom! Still cheaper than a Crapple iMack.
Normal guy: It's not just the fonts. Mac has everything out of the box--multimedia, fonts, browser et cetera. Just talking about the fonts doesn't help.
Windows evangelist: It's still cheap, idiot. I can force you right now!
Normal guy: (runs away) BUT THEY'RE NOT OUT OF THE BOX!!!

--- Quote from: Refalm on  5 April 2010, 22:33 ---Windows has Arial, and it's Helvetica's mutant half-brother.

--- End quote ---

There's a huge difference.

C's are the same.

Arial's G has no tail, the opposite of Helvetica's extended tail on the G.

Arial's R is slanted but Helvetica's is almost curved and straight.

Helvetica's "a" has a longer tail than Arial's.

The "r" in Arial is fully curved but Helvetica's is slightly different.

Arial's "t" has a slant on top but Helvetica's "t" has a flat top.

Those are the differences in detail. Enjoy! :D

worker201:

--- Quote from: reactosguy on  7 April 2010, 05:05 ---
--- Quote from: Refalm on  5 April 2010, 22:33 ---Windows has Arial, and it's Helvetica's mutant half-brother.

--- End quote ---

There's a huge difference.

C's are the same.

Arial's G has no tail, the opposite of Helvetica's extended tail on the G.

Arial's R is slanted but Helvetica's is almost curved and straight.

Helvetica's "a" has a longer tail than Arial's.

The "r" in Arial is fully curved but Helvetica's is slightly different.

Arial's "t" has a slant on top but Helvetica's "t" has a flat top.

Those are the differences in detail. Enjoy! :D

--- End quote ---

The C's are not the same.  If you look at them closely, you'll see that the curves on both left and right are different, creating a different shape inside the letter.  Also notice the subtle angle difference above the opening.

You can see the same issue with the curves in the G as well, but they're not as pronounced.  Another point to notice in the G, which is also true for the a, C, and r, is that Helvetica caps all the open-ended curves with segments that are parallel to the baseline, while Arial uses a diagonal segment.

In the R, the shape of the hole is totally different, as is the character of the kickout leg.

In the a, the kickout leg, the shape of the hole, and the shape of the partially enclosed area are totally different.

I actually think the r's flyout segment in Helvetica looks too shortened - but the Arial version also looks silly, like the curve ends and becomes a slanted straight segment.

Arial's t is flashier both at the top and the bottom, which seems to fit with its other letters.

davidnix71:
I've been in the printing business my entire adult life. We used Compugraphics typesetters with 8086's and then Mac 7.5.5
Compugraphics didn't use Adobe and that version of 7 was free by the time we used it. It was all about money. Unless you
did high end printing, which we didn't do, the differences between Arial and Helvetica are not discernible.

Personal computers killed our buisness, not Windows. Anyone can design and print their own business stock or wedding invitations
now.

Licensing fonts from Adobe was always a legal nightmare. No one wanted the hassle if they didn't actually need the font. Even embedding the font
to transmit a file was supposed to require a license. DRM is a lot older than some of you think. Our Riso's had $500 fvcking hard drives
because they came with Adobe fonts installed. We weren't even supposed to look at the contents of the drive lest we see something Adobe didn't
want to get out.

I don't like M$, but they did us all a huge favor by not using Helvetica.

Aloone_Jonez:
I can see the very minor differences now they've been pointed out to me.

I've decided that I prefer Arial and I don't see how anyone could prefer Helvetica.

I find Arial easier to read, if I screw my eye up.

To be superficial, Arial just sounds better than Helvetica which I can't spell and I' not even 100% sure if I'm pronouncing correctly because I've never heard anyone say it before.

I think MS did us a favour too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version