Author Topic: Am I the only Brit on here??  (Read 2496 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: Am I the only Brit on here??
« Reply #15 on: 8 May 2010, 00:40 »
I didn't know who to vote for so I voted for Liberal, not because I completely support their policies but because I'm anti-Labour and Conservative.
I'm 16 and therefore not able to vote, but I agree with this, and I would have definitely voted for the Liberal Democrats for the same reason. That, and I can't help but think that the Labour party and the Conservatives are just as bad as each other truthfully.

For those involved in British politics, who should the Lib Dems merge with? Conservatives or Labour?
Do they need to merge? In Ireland a small but popular Green party formed a coalition with Fianna Fail in our last general election (in power for the last decade or more), and do you know what ended up, we have no green party anymore. They got fuck all (but a little bit) of what they asked for in the government programme, but they decided they could get more done in the government rather than against it. Well that's not rocket science, but if you're gonna be Fianna Fails bitch who needs the green party anymore?

So, I'd be more impressed if the lib dems didn't roll over to get in power. I think the best thing for them to do is give the conservatives a nod, but not be a part of their government. Besides if it goes to another election won't the idea be that the lib dems need to lose all their seats to make that worthwhile?

So I'm saying a coalition would be weak, imo.

Btw I'm Irish not British, but I've been following parts on Sky News. You'd know I'm supposed to be studying for my exams. I'll add that us Irish are absolutely fucked when it comes to politics, our politicians have done some sketchy shit that makes it embarrassing to be a part of this country, but we dont even get an election for that, which people are happy with because noone has the answers here anyhow. If Cameron does a bad job, I hope your young people dont feel as hopeless as us. This world...
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #16 on: 8 May 2010, 23:59 »
I doubt Liberal will merge with any other party, especially the Conservatives.

I'd like Liberal to power share, as long as they're allowed to get their electoral reform bill through.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2010, 17:06 »
now it's David Cameron, the Conservative leader who's forming a government.

As a Scot, i can say that since Scotland has 59 constituencies, and only one of those elected a Conservative MP, we are once more totally unrepresented in the UK parliament.

However my prediction is that Scotland will do nothing aand say nothing about this, because it is the EU's most spineless state.

Re: voting: yes, i support freedom of choice, but i also think that if you don't vote, you should shut up about politics because you are too apathetic to have an opinion. I also think that if you don't vote, the vote may be taken away from those who care enough to use their vote.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2010, 18:07 »
I think Nick and David could be long lost brothers.

Although I voted liberal myself, it does seem unfair that they have a significant role in running the country despite coming third place.

It's all right for the Scots who mostly voted liberal.

By the way, I think the election was a total mess because many people weren't even allowed to vote.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #19 on: 14 May 2010, 11:02 »
i can't believe you just said it was alright for the scots.

look at the facts, once again the english voted for the tories. once again they got their wish. once again scotland voted for no tories (one constituency out of 59 is Conservative) and once again we're getting a tory government that will shaft us up the arse for at least another five years, and once again the general public are doing NOTHING about it except tell themselves little stories about how it's not so bad.

i voted liberal democrat this time, for the first time ever, and probably the last. they betrayed us. At least we knew the tories were upper class scum who would serve nobody but themselves and their Eton/Cambridge/Oxford buddies, but the liberal democrats have backed down on their principles entirely.

PS - and what on earth makes you claim most scots voted liberal by the way? Have you even heard of scotland? Do you even know where it is? It's this sort of uninformed opinion amongst the english that proves that scotland should NOT be run from London, and definitely not by a party that has NO mandate to rule in scotland if you look at the numbers. And here are the numbers. This is how many seats the major four parties got in scotland:

Labour: 41
Liberal Democrats: 11
Scottish National Party: 6
Conservative: 1

On the basis of that result, should the Conservatives be forming the government that will be deciding our tax and immigration policies, building nuclear power stations on our land instead of wind and hydro power plants, taking our oil and spending all our money on a nuclear "deterrent"? Short answer: no. and only an idiot would think otherwise. However sadly there must be [plenty of those because that's what we've now got.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2010, 11:08 by Calum »

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #20 on: 14 May 2010, 12:36 »

i voted liberal democrat this time, for the first time ever, and probably the last. they betrayed us. At least we knew the tories were upper class scum who would serve nobody but themselves and their Eton/Cambridge/Oxford buddies, but the liberal democrats have backed down on their principles entirely.
This is what I didn't like about a coalition (not that it matters to me).

What would you have preferred: a minority conservative govt or a reelection?

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2010, 15:50 »
PS - and what on earth makes you claim most scots voted liberal by the way?
I looked at the map of constituencies and noticed there was a lot of orange.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/2432632/UK-General-Election-2010-political-map.html

Maybe I misinterpreted the map, there are a lot of, tiny Labour constituencies.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2010, 16:11 »
Interesting map to say the least.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: 14 May 2010, 17:12 »
Also don't forget that it's not the actual number of people who voted for Liberal, Labour or Conservatives but where they live.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #24 on: 14 May 2010, 17:36 »
Why is it that conservatives have fuck all MPs elected outside england? Is it because they cant get a vote or because they neglect those areas? (probably a compounding of the two) The party doesn't even exist in northern ireland.

Is there even a party fighting for a Scottish parliament?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: 14 May 2010, 22:37 »
Yes it's called the Scottish Nationalist Party.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_National_Party

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2010, 16:53 »
it is not called the scottish nationalist party. It's called the scottish national party.

And even that's a stupid name because they are referred to constantly as nationalists and the party no doubt attracts a lot of nationalists too. They are not (or in my opinion should not be) a nationalist party, until the formation of the scottish parliament (now wrongly called the scottish government) the SNP were essentially a single policy party campaigning for Scotland to be given the status of a fully independent state within the EU. in recent years however they have had to change into a major political party within the scottish regional assembly. Though they have considerable support, it is a long way short of a majority. This is because most scots don't vote, or support either Labour or the Liberal Democrats for reasons which are imho based on stupidity (ie: their fathers voted that way) or cowardice (ie: fear of change). This time Scotland voted for Labour overwhelmingly, as they always do, despite Jonez' comments, and this means scotland got what it deserved. If you vote for an english party, you get an english government.

There is no real place for the scottish national party in westminster in my opinion. Just like there's no place for scotland in a UK union now the EU exists.

Pirate penguin, re: the Conservatives, yes, you're right.

re: the map, sorry Aloone, but only a true idiot would make that sort of assumption without taking into account the population distribution of scotland, and for the record those Labour consituencies aren't tiny, they have, if anything, bigger populations than the rural constituencies do. By the way, it's insult on top of injury that you don't know anything about scotland's population distribution, and yet you feel totally qualified to make assertions based on it, because the english are responsible for scotland's sparse population in the first place (but i don't expect you'll "waste" your time reading up on boring insignificant scottish history). This is another reason why scotland shouldn't be ruled by an english parliament, the english know fuck all about scotland and care even less about it, except to get our oil money and to set up dangerous nuclear facilities on british soil, but safely away from england. Oh yes, and to test out new tax strategies on scotland illegally before deciding how to implement them in england, even though that's forbidden by the Act of Union.

Scotland's the only country ever to discover oil and end up worse off because of it. Why? Because we allowed england to manage our affairs.
England might be a bunch of wankers (politically) but we're worse, we're ruled by wankers.

and finally, another election in six months' time would be my preferred solution, or even better, independence for scotland within europe and give england to the tories, like the english voted for.

one uber final note - it would be typical of many to assume i have some sort of anti-english feeling. i don't, other than politically. Further, i fully support english independence within the EU (possibly including Wales and NI if they want to be included along with england).
« Last Edit: 18 May 2010, 17:05 by Calum »