All Things Microsoft > Microsoft Hardware

OnLive Microconsole more awesome than PC gaming?

(1/2) > >>

Refalm:
The OnLive Microconsole.
It promises some serious gaming without having to buy games. Just hook up that thing to your TV and internets, and play (for a $15 subscription).

This will hopefully kill off any need whatsoever for playing games on Windows (Wine sometimes doesn't work), or buying ridiculously expensive hardware.
Especially since there's a Mac OS browser plugin.

I'm anxious to see if it will all work. If it does, and there's an actual Linux browser plugin, I'm going to seriously check it out.

Lead Head:
I see a couple of problems with it honestly. To send that much high def imagery at 60FPS minimum is going to use a lot of bandwidth the other issue is latency. When you move your mouse on a "local" game being played on your PC, the screen updates near instantly. With this, the move command has to be first sent to the computing servers,  calculated, the the new image has to be sent back. That means there will be an actual video delay between when you push a button and something actually happens on screen. I'm guessing if you have a ping over ~50ms or so the games will be unplayable.

Refalm:
It's streaming pictures and sound, which is no different than Streaming a 720p HD movie at YouTube.
Mouse and keyboard movements isn't that much data to send.

The technology already works in LAN's when you try to play a 2D game in a VDI environment.
So it's possible, but the bandwidth is a problem if your bandwidth isn't at least 20 Mbit for down and up. Then take in account all the hops to the server that adds up to the latency, or your family members using usenet or bittorrent.

It could all be a big scam like Palm Invest, but if it's real and works, it would be revolutionary in how people buy and play games.

Here's a clip of OnLive in practice, with some guy that sucks at GRID:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7fq8NmiV8U

Aloone_Jonez:

--- Quote from: Refalm on 11 May 2010, 11:42 ---So it's possible, but the bandwidth is a problem if your bandwidth isn't at least 20 Mbit for down and up.

--- End quote ---

How many people have that kind of bandwidth both up and down?

Going from the other thread, so far you're the only person here who could use the service.

Kintaro:
What the fuck incentive does anyone have to write games for it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version