Miscellaneous > Programming & Networking

Programming: Past, Present, Future

<< < (3/3)

Refalm:
A lot of companies started up hiring a programmer that did a project using COBOL, Oracle SQL and Delphi for example.
Then that guy leaves and the company starts to look for a programmer that can do the same, and has even been an expert on those languages for at least 5 years. Basically, they want that guy back.

I think choosing the right programming language is just a big gamble. You have to be lucky that you match a certain, sometimes unrealistic profile. Being a JAVA expert, you can easily switch over to C++ or C#, you'd think, but that isn't enough for managers. They want to be certain that you are an expert in a certain language, in combination with other languages.

piratePenguin:
I'm not going to suggest to someone interested in programming (in this case a 14 year old), that they position themselves so they can get a job. This person will be programming by themselves for months or years, in my opinion the important thing is that they become developers - who actually develop, and their main focus should be a language or a framework where they can create some interesting things without spending an entire year.

Of course, a bottom up programmer will be better geared to thinking about problems, but I just believe a 2010 programmer doesn't need to be proud of a prime factor program. That runs in console.

Let me mention dashboard widgets, firefox extensions. Things that, by choosing the correct SIMPLE (or standard) technologies, these things attracted ASTRONOMICAL numbers - new and old developers (probably mostly old, but still including:): people with no interest in computers for the sake of computers, but a vision, or a job they wanted doing. In my opinion any programmer should be interested in doing a job, not interested for shits and giggles. But, if you go on from knowing everything about computers and solving problems, to building things, as I'll say (without being too careful for a complete lack of time) a not-very-healthy amount of people who know everything about computers do, then you will be very useful surely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version