Author Topic: I realized something, the only OS that I love is XP  (Read 5384 times)

yourlife

• Kudos: 2
  • The One And Only Autistic Albino!
    • Yourlife
I realized something, the only OS that I like from MS is XP, reason: Steam. Oh dear Steam is coming to Mac, Well, hmm, will I still love Windows XP then...

Linux is not for me, just does not do enough things! And its not exactly, wonderful to look at.
Mac OS X does not have Steam (Yet) and even then games like Portal, how will that work?? Otherwise it is brilliant, Until you find out its so dead easy to turn off, just open anything that isnt by Apple and BOOM. Obviously if you actually want to turn the Mac off, its another story

So Windows (at the moment) is the only best one. But I'm still probably going to buy a Mac over a Windows computer
By the worlds one and only Albino with Aspergers! Yes I'm awesome
http://www.yourlifegroup.org

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
Re: I realized something, the only OS that I love is XP
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2010, 18:03 »
Mac OS X does not have Steam (Yet) and even then games like Portal, how will that work??
Ever head of OpenGL and SDL?

yourlife

• Yourlife
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2010, 18:21 »
Yess, but I mean right clicking

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2010, 19:30 »
You dont have to use an Apple mouse on an Apple computer. Unless you're like most Apple users.

Therefore buy an Apple mouse that has a right click, like they all have for the last number of years?
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2010, 20:13 »
Therefore buy an Apple mouse that has a right click, like they all have for the last number of years?
Or any USB mouse for that matter.

Someone I know rights click all the time on his Mac to play The Sims.

yourlife

• Yourlife
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2010, 21:03 »
ok ok

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2010, 22:04 »
Well there's one thing I like about Windows and miss when I'm using Linux: the fact that Windows enables me to use wild cards in file the selection box. No linux desktop environment I've used does this and I really miss it when I'm using Linux. Wild cards are great, if I have a directory with hundreds of  files, I can guess part of the name of the file I'm looking for and narrow my options down to ten or so.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2010, 02:20 »
I right click all the time in OSX.  On a MacBook or MacBookPro or even Magic Mouse, placing two fingers on the trackpad and clicking is equivalent to a right click.  Even if you have a single button mouse, holding down the cmd key while clicking will also give you a right click.  A Mac will recognize any USB or bluetooth mouse and accept right clicks from it.  Actually, it has been possible to right click on a Mac with a single-button mouse for over 10 years, I wish people would stop pretending that is still a hindrance to the platform.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2010, 17:35 »
it is. it's even more stupid (than not supporting right click at all) to sell hardware that can do a right click by some convoluted means, but it doesn't actually have a right button. it's just dumb. It doesn't make your mouse any bigger to have a right button.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2010, 23:10 »
I disagree.  The only reason Apple even has context menus and right-click availability is to support users from outside the Apple paradigm.  Right click support and context menus have been built into OSX since day one, just for migrating Windows users.  There's nothing in the context menus that isn't available somewhere else - they're just a convenience.  If you want all your right-clicking to be done from the mouse, then bring your own mouse.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2010, 00:54 »
I disagree.  The only reason Apple even has context menus and right-click availability is to support users from outside the Apple paradigm.  Right click support and context menus have been built into OSX since day one, just for migrating Windows users.  There's nothing in the context menus that isn't available somewhere else - they're just a convenience.  If you want all your right-clicking to be done from the mouse, then bring your own mouse.
And are Apple are trying to make an inconvenient experience? I don't know how people can defend Apple here...

convenience = right click on the system for context menus etc, right click button on mouse
inconvenience = anything less.

but utter stupidity = convoluted means of doing a right click on a system that doesn't have a right button.

I always thought the one click button served an agreed historic purpose.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2010, 06:11 »
Windows XP is a pile of dogshit compared to Windows 7. Only a retarded luddite would disagree. Enjoy not being able to cancel I/O operations dude, and enjoy watching explorer (all of it) hang as a result. Windows XP doesn't thread anything correctly, and because of its deficient kernel it is very unstable.

The following very familiar example is impossible on Vista and Windows 7. A user accesses a network share and is browsing around, and Windows XP has a SMB I/O operation open to the host of the share. Kintaro (me) is the administrator on the host which runs Windows 2003 and it itself has stopped responding to anything but that client accessing a share. I give the server a cold reboot with the reset switch. The XP user suddenly notices his explorer.exe window of the network share will not respond. It could snap out of it, given enough time for the IO operation to time out. The user tries to wait for it but gets very impatient as because of Windows XP's explorer.exe's notoriously maleficent threading, nothing is responding involving it. No start menu, no my computer, or anything. Eventually explorer crashes gracefully and restarts showing only half of the icons in the task bar.

How the fuck does anyone put up with that? Either get Linux, or get Windows 7, or for the love of god get a mac! Nobody should just sit and take it, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2010, 11:05 »
actually Luddites would probably shun all computer use so they'd be unlikely to voice a preference between different versions of ms windows.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

yourlife

• Yourlife
« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2010, 18:15 »
Oh yes, the best feature of Windows 7 is the fact that it turns off super fast. You just boot it up the first time and BOOM its off. Then for the reason on MSDN and they say YOUR HARDWARE IS NOT FUCKING COMBATIBLE So I have to go spend even MORE FCUKING MONEY, when I chould just buy Windows XP SP3 which will run on pretty much any machine. Even Microsoft knows this, as during a prank call of mine, I asked what OS they were using, Mr Indian Guy replied "Windows XP". Problem sorted, buy any windows platform, get XP. Unless your getting a new computer, then 7 would be fine, but I'd still downgrade to XP. Or get a Mac.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2010, 19:04 »
Well, I've never used Windows 7 or Vista before and no one has ever convinced me to do so. Quite frankly, I have better things to spend my money on. I wouldn't even pirate it because in order for my PC to run as fast as it does with XP, I'd probably have to upgrade so it isn't worth it.

I've never used Mac OS either but it does seem retarded having a mouse with one button and having to use the keyboard to emulate another button. I think that would drive me mad, even two button mice piss me off, I have to have a scroll wheel which doubles as a middle button.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu: