Operating Systems > Linux and UNIX

Fedora 13 out today

(1/7) > >>

Aloone_Jonez:
Anyone tried it?

I'm downloading it now.

I've gone for the 64-bit DVD rather than any of the live CDs or 32-bit versions.

Kintaro:
Fedora always sucks.

Debian FTW.

Refalm:
Not really. With Fedora, you get a distribution that's as fast as Debian, and still easy to use.

It's the best as a corporate desktop, and it's good as a home desktop as well.

Aloone_Jonez:
I've never had any problems with it.

Anyway John, I thought you loved Fedora and the amount of shit I used to get from you when I was anti-Redhat?

I've downloaded and burned a DVD of it.

By the way, is it possible to burn a DVD so it's bootable and  still be able to add extra files to it?

There would still be some room on the DVD for 1GB more or so and I like saving the planet.. ;)

Aloone_Jonez:
It didn't work.

I don't know whether the image was corrupt (yest  know I should've checked it before burning), a bad burn or what but it boots, asks for the keyboard and language then asks me which partition the installation image is on, I tell it to look at the DVD drive and it says there's no DVD in there. The DVD also won't read on Windows, although I'm sure I checked it after I burnt it. Either way it's not Fedora's fault but my hardware.

I've given up on the DVD and I'm going with the live CD install, the DVD takes too long to download, I've not got very many blank DVDs but I've got some rewritable CDs so it make sense.

I also think my DVD burner could be fucked so I'm using the CD burner for now.

I'll see how it goes.

EDIT 1:

It still didn't work, this time if got so far and refused to boot: bad superblock. Oh well at least this time I can rewrite the CD and I'm not left with a useless piece of plastic destined for the bin.

Maybe it's InfraRecorder  not  being compatible with my hardware?

I'll go back to CDBurnerXP which I know works with my drive.

EDIT 2:
It looks like it was mad media to blame. I burned the same I've disc again but it failed to verify so I put a new disc in and it worked.

I've just installed OpenOffice and I've forgotten how shit it is and I'm going to uninstall it as soon as I figure out how get GoOO on there.

I made a mistake with the install and realised there's no swap partition. How can I set one up now so I don't get any kernel panics in future?

I've got 1GB RAM and there's every chance I could fill it, especially as I'm using x64 which I know uses more RAM than 32-bit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version