Author Topic: Fedora 13 out today  (Read 7279 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: Fedora 13 out today
« Reply #15 on: 29 May 2010, 20:23 »
My graphics card is a Sapphire Radeon  X300SE 400MHz with 256MB RAM no doubt it's in an unaccelerated VESA mode.

I'll Google an download some drivers when I reboot in to Linux - using Windows at the moment.

By the way the boot speed has improved, I forgot that it rakes a couple of boots to profile and optimise, I'm not sure if it's as fast as XP though.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #16 on: 29 May 2010, 20:39 »
Seems a hell of a lot faster at booting than Windows 7 on this machine, and thats in a VM under 7.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2010, 21:25 »
Looks like the package manager isn't so wonderful, this virtually immovable window is bigger than the screen so I cannot see the buttons.

Megafail!

I don't think that's the package manager doing that.  I've had that happen to me a couple times on different programs using the KDE version of Fedora 12.  It is a pretty serious fail.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2010, 22:04 »
Perhaps it's the WM's fault as it shouldn't allow windows larger than the screen size.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2010, 03:38 »
Yeah but what is it going to do about them being bigger? Scale them? It should just allow me to move the window from any side of it, then I would gradually be able to use all of it.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #20 on: 30 May 2010, 04:11 »
Do you not know the ultra cool unix move window shortcut? alt and drag
alt and middle click to resize
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
Shitty DVDs
« Reply #21 on: 1 June 2010, 14:20 »
It turns out that the DVD I originally tried to burn didn't work because the media is fucking shit.

I noticed that I could fit my finger nail in between the two layers in the middle of the DVD and that that started to delaminate, I inserted a pen tip and the two layers came apart.

It's a branded DVD too, Maxell, anyone else had a similar problem?

Unfortunately I didn't investigate the rewritable CD I had problems with, I'll have a look and destroy it when I find it. It's probably just been used too much or is scratched or something.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #22 on: 1 June 2010, 14:24 »
It often happens when you store the CD's in an open casing.
Those extra expensive plastic covers for CD-R's are there to protect against humidity.

You should also never use CD-R's or DVD-R's to store important data, they're not built to last.
I find that Emtec makes the best rewritable disks, they last a bit longer.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #23 on: 1 June 2010, 14:49 »
It looks like sunlight fucked them. A CD kept in the right environment will last longer than any of us.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: 1 June 2010, 15:20 »
Well I don't know how they've been stored as I just fount them lying around at work, so yes maybe storage conditions were a factor.

Just tried that out now, it certainly works but it's still a fail because it's supposed to be user friendly and only an experienced user would know how to do that.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #25 on: 1 June 2010, 15:41 »
Well I don't know how they've been stored as I just fount them lying around at work, so yes maybe storage conditions were a factor.

Just tried that out now, it certainly works but it's still a fail because it's supposed to be user friendly and only an experienced user would know how to do that.
of course
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #26 on: 1 June 2010, 18:29 »

Clearly Fedora need to find a way to teach users the systems. Perhaps they could have a floating icon that provides suggestions on a moment by moment basis. This could give the user a possible remedy, ask if it didn't work, and provide more choices. It could look like a paperclip, but that guy is notorious, it could be a cute penguin. Because users will shun this learning assistant, they could hide the option in a sysctl under proc which the user finds out how to switch off... once the Tux Clip is done teaching them.

Really though, what happened! A few years ago we all used to bitch about how Microsoft's monopoly kept users in the dark and fed them bullshit. We laughed in hysterics about Microsoft Bob, we shared leet tips, Void-Main saved us all from all kinds of shit and taught us a lot. Now something is ruined for not being enough like Microsoft Bob.
« Last Edit: 1 June 2010, 20:02 by Refalm »

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: 1 June 2010, 20:41 »
Really though, what happened! A few years ago we all used to bitch about how Microsoft's monopoly kept users in the dark and fed them bullshit. We laughed in hysterics about Microsoft Bob, we shared leet tips, Void-Main saved us all from all kinds of shit and taught us a lot. Now something is ruined for not being enough like Microsoft Bob.

Interesting point.  I think a lot of people have become too focused on the future of Linux on the desktop.  They're thinking that if it isn't as easy as Windows, then the masses won't use it.  Plus, there really are people posting right here in this forum who install the Linux, haggle with something for a few days, and then become frustrated and return to Windows because 'it just works'.

I think for the most part, the anger has gone out of Microsuck.  When I first joined, I was like "If you use Windows, you fucking suck".  Now I'm more like "Hey, whatever works for you".  Maybe it's age - but it could be mileage as well.  I personally don't spend as much time configuring and tweaking just for fun as I did back when I first joined.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: 1 June 2010, 21:47 »
Maybe people have grown up a bit? The whole you use Windows you suck attitude is immature in my opinion.

Anyway, I don't see why it shouldn't be too much to ask that a program shouldn't make a window so fucking big, half of it is off the screen so one needs to resort to using a UNIX short cut only the elite know about. If the package program looked at the screen resolution and provided this something known as a scroll bar to move the window contents up and down there would be no need for any retarded MS Bob style assistants.I think this is a bug - the developers never thought that there could ever be so many packages to install that the window would be larger than the screen.

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: 2 June 2010, 00:23 »
No offense, but I'd hardly consider piratepenguin to be a member of the 'elite'.