Operating Systems > Linux and UNIX

Fedora 13 out today

<< < (6/7) > >>

piratePenguin:

--- Quote from: Aloone_Jonez on  1 June 2010, 15:20 ---Well I don't know how they've been stored as I just fount them lying around at work, so yes maybe storage conditions were a factor.

--- Quote from: piratePenguin on 30 May 2010, 04:11 ---Do you not know the ultra cool unix move window shortcut? alt and drag
alt and middle click to resize

--- End quote ---

Just tried that out now, it certainly works but it's still a fail because it's supposed to be user friendly and only an experienced user would know how to do that.

--- End quote ---
of course

Kintaro:

--- Quote from: Aloone_Jonez on  1 June 2010, 15:20 ---Well I don't know how they've been stored as I just fount them lying around at work, so yes maybe storage conditions were a factor.

--- Quote from: piratePenguin on 30 May 2010, 04:11 ---Do you not know the ultra cool unix move window shortcut? alt and drag
alt and middle click to resize

--- End quote ---

Just tried that out now, it certainly works but it's still a fail because it's supposed to be user friendly and only an experienced user would know how to do that.

--- End quote ---

Clearly Fedora need to find a way to teach users the systems. Perhaps they could have a floating icon that provides suggestions on a moment by moment basis. This could give the user a possible remedy, ask if it didn't work, and provide more choices. It could look like a paperclip, but that guy is notorious, it could be a cute penguin. Because users will shun this learning assistant, they could hide the option in a sysctl under proc which the user finds out how to switch off... once the Tux Clip is done teaching them.

Really though, what happened! A few years ago we all used to bitch about how Microsoft's monopoly kept users in the dark and fed them bullshit. We laughed in hysterics about Microsoft Bob, we shared leet tips, Void-Main saved us all from all kinds of shit and taught us a lot. Now something is ruined for not being enough like Microsoft Bob.

worker201:

--- Quote from: Kintaro on  1 June 2010, 18:29 ---Really though, what happened! A few years ago we all used to bitch about how Microsoft's monopoly kept users in the dark and fed them bullshit. We laughed in hysterics about Microsoft Bob, we shared leet tips, Void-Main saved us all from all kinds of shit and taught us a lot. Now something is ruined for not being enough like Microsoft Bob.

--- End quote ---

Interesting point.  I think a lot of people have become too focused on the future of Linux on the desktop.  They're thinking that if it isn't as easy as Windows, then the masses won't use it.  Plus, there really are people posting right here in this forum who install the Linux, haggle with something for a few days, and then become frustrated and return to Windows because 'it just works'.

I think for the most part, the anger has gone out of Microsuck.  When I first joined, I was like "If you use Windows, you fucking suck".  Now I'm more like "Hey, whatever works for you".  Maybe it's age - but it could be mileage as well.  I personally don't spend as much time configuring and tweaking just for fun as I did back when I first joined.

Aloone_Jonez:
Maybe people have grown up a bit? The whole you use Windows you suck attitude is immature in my opinion.

Anyway, I don't see why it shouldn't be too much to ask that a program shouldn't make a window so fucking big, half of it is off the screen so one needs to resort to using a UNIX short cut only the elite know about. If the package program looked at the screen resolution and provided this something known as a scroll bar to move the window contents up and down there would be no need for any retarded MS Bob style assistants.I think this is a bug - the developers never thought that there could ever be so many packages to install that the window would be larger than the screen.

worker201:
No offense, but I'd hardly consider piratepenguin to be a member of the 'elite'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version