Author Topic: IE drops  (Read 2064 times)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
IE drops
« on: 28 May 2010, 21:27 »
IE usage has dropped to below 60%.  Chrome usage, while still under 10%, is said to be surging.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/05/chrome-continues-surge-as-ie-drops-below-60-market-share.ars

Unfortunately, it's not clear how mobile browsers are affecting these numbers.  After all, all iPhones are running a version of Safari, and all Androids are running a version of Chrome.  In possibly related news, the Android is now ahead of the iPhone (but both are still behind Blackberry).

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: IE drops
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2010, 23:00 »
IE seems to be waning more and more from one version to the next. I'd be interested to see what the adoption of IE 9 is going to be like. Microsoft really haven't done themselves any favours by not releasing IE 9 for Windows XP which will mean that many people who don't want to upgrade to Windows 7 will either be stuck with IE 8 or more than likely move to an alternative  It's a shame because it sounds like IE9 is going to be good  (for IE) and lumbering people with IE 8 is only going to hold back standards further.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2010, 01:44 »
I don't know if you clicked on the link, or scrolled down to see the other graphics, but IE8 is definitely the lion's share of the current IE usage.  So it seems like a decent percentage of IE users are keeping up with the upgrades.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2010, 10:15 »
I don't know if you clicked on the link, or scrolled down to see the other graphics, but IE8 is definitely the lion's share of the current IE usage.  So it seems like a decent percentage of IE users are keeping up with the upgrades.
You're missing the point: I doubt IE 9 adoption will be as high as the previous versions because it requires Windows 7 which is not a free upgrade.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2010, 19:23 »
Eh, resistance is futile.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2010, 10:33 »
You're missing the point: I doubt IE 9 adoption will be as high as the previous versions because it requires Windows Vista which is not a free upgrade.
Corrected but I can't see many people buying Vista now there's Windows 7.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #6 on: 1 June 2010, 16:40 »
some of my friends who are total computer know-nothings have already switched to ubuntu or are thinking about switching.
these are people who would never have dreamed of such a thing a few years ago, and it's not based on any prompting from me at all.

make of that what you will, i can feel a change in the direction of the wind.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism