Author Topic: I love Windows 2008 Server.  (Read 4642 times)

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
I love Windows 2008 Server.
« on: 30 May 2010, 13:41 »
I just downloaded and installed Windows 2008 server. I am going to marry it.

Everything is so fucking simple to do. Terrorists could bomb your keyboard and you will still be able to stop them with your incredible account suspending abilities via mouse. For active directory / ldap based shit configuration is incredibly easy. Getting cygwin working on it properly was also quite easy. Windows 2008 is much like 2003 except that now it comes with some pretty interesting add ons for Active Directory. There is an add on for a HTTPS SSO that you can use in website development for authentication, which seemed pretty neat. Yet, the whole system has a very private feel about it. As usual it has stubborn old IIS.

Yet that is the problem using cygwin seems to solve quite well. Building Apache 2.2.0 is simple enough, and makes the system much nicer. There are also good Windows builds but using cygwin leaves the option of being able to add modules later. All Windows really needs is a BSD ports tree for this kind of shit and Linux is finished.

On Windows Server 2008 on the first boot it took me about 30 minutes to have DNS, DHCP, BOOTP, Active Directory, Deployment Services, and L2TP running. Cygwin took a while after to download and install, one could just keep a tarball of c:\cygwin for multiple servers. All this that quickly is impressive and feels deliciously lavish even with the sacrafice of 'total control' (you know, like how you have 'total control' of the downstream Linux devs) over the system it seems worth it for small and medium sized networks.

Also I think it makes a joke of everyone here about seven years ago including me there is also a feature for BIND secondaries under the Windows DNS server.

<3 Microsoft.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Re: I love Windows 2008 Server.
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2010, 19:26 »
Oh, is Server 2008 freeware?  I didn't know that you could just download and install it whenever you felt like it.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2010, 21:41 »
I also didn't know you could marry it.

I'd marry it, and get a divorce. And then I'd never need to work. Flawless.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2010, 23:23 »
Oh, is Server 2008 freeware?  I didn't know that you could just download and install it whenever you felt like it.

I don't think Microsoft really care about me pirating their stuff. They are too busy suing Government schools and Government offices. Microsoft could give that money back to the taxpayer in a Bill Gates as Robin Hood PR stunt!

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2010, 23:26 »
I also didn't know you could marry it.

I'd marry it, and get a divorce. And then I'd never need to work. Flawless.

Keep not working, you might just never make something of yourself one day.

How did not working become an ideal? I personally blame Calum Carlyle for raising us wrong.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2010, 23:50 »
My post was a joke.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2010, 00:24 »
Mine was a passive observation followed by a joke. We have something in common. Want to have gay sex?

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2010, 10:49 »
Other than Novell and Mandriva, there are no real good directory servers out there.
Lots of organizations choose Windows Server 2008 R2 to do that, even if they run Linux desktops.

People say Linux focusses a lot on servers, but on directory services, Microsoft is beating it.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2010, 15:30 »
Other than Novell and Mandriva, there are no real good directory servers out there.
Lots of organizations choose Windows Server 2008 R2 to do that, even if they run Linux desktops.

People say Linux focusses a lot on servers, but on directory services, Microsoft is beating it.

You could be strung out on heroin and still get ActiveDirectory to work. When it comes to web servers and databases there are a lot of security considerations involving the Internet. Yet, when you have a virtually standalone server on your business network, you never need to update it or intervene in any way with Windows 2008. It allows one to be incredibly lazy, and for what it does, I really like that.

When it comes to VPNs as well, I like Server 2008 because I can be lazy. OpenSWAN takes a lot more work than Remote Access Services.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #9 on: 1 June 2010, 16:35 »
Quote from: Kintaro
How did not working become an ideal? I personally blame Calum Carlyle for raising us wrong.
Quote from: piratePenguin
My post was a joke.
So was Kintaro's! :-)
Mine was a passive observation followed by a joke. We have something in common. Want to have gay sex?
see? He knows how to laugh at life, in his own way!

Now play nicely kids!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #10 on: 1 June 2010, 18:40 »
The thing is were not kids, I'm 22 and Declan is like 19 or something. Yourlife is the new kid on the block.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #11 on: 2 June 2010, 10:34 »
thanks for the reminder, in some cases it can be hard to tell which of you are kids, especially for someone as old and senile as me.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #12 on: 2 June 2010, 22:36 »
I tried that defense in court on statutory rape charges. It didn't end well.

Kintaro

• JohnTate.org
« Reply #13 on: 12 June 2010, 00:20 »
Code: [Select]
PS C:\Users\John> sleep 14400; echo "Four hours have passed, rebooting"; Restart-Computer -Force
This is the kind of shit you can do in Powershell.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #14 on: 12 June 2010, 12:42 »
You know what's bullshit on Windows Server? Updates.

Without a WSUS server, there are no automatic updates. You still have to configure Internet Explorer 8's "accelerators", and have to click "Next" all the time on a new service pack. For the trouble that is configuring a WSUS server, it isn't worth it for just a few servers.