Author Topic: its a good thing windows still includes command prompt  (Read 3329 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
..because otherwise i dont know how i wouldve renamed my notepad-created map.svg.txt to simply map.svg.

I can't rename the file in properties, but I see now that notepad would have named it correctly if I selected all files from the drop down when i was saving it the first time, but once the file is created this neglects to work.

Not the first time this has pissed me off...
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Re: its a good thing windows still includes command prompt
« Reply #1 on: 3 June 2010, 21:06 »
Notepad is a mistake, I've found.  A simple text editor that can't do the simplest editing tasks.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #2 on: 3 June 2010, 21:54 »
I use notepad to write poems in.

Glory to notepad the greatest editor
as small as Vi excluding shared libraries
but those are already loaded
because windows is so bloated
but it really isn't that bad
compared to what other systems have had
they could leave you with fucking wordpad

Besides you do /etc pretty much with regedit
but only if you're using the work of an idiot
who couldn't write some configuration shit
like whoever did Windows NTP
it makes me want to scream
They can have you using HDDs and SSDs
In a well-optimized sequential or not symphony
But sometimes they can't do the simplest things.

But you really can't complain, because Linux is gay
Pulseaudio broke everyone elses shit -
but they still included it.
And although that was a long time ago.
You'll really never ever get to know.
How much the Canonical downstream fucking blows.

I really sure love to use BSD.
But there is something about ports, you see.
It's really doesn't have much continuity
Portsupdate, portupgrade or portsnap?
Will you instead go use packages?
But you can't then have certain features.
Unless you compile them for your reasons.

I say I hate Apple's machines
Not that I've really ever owned one or anything.
Mostly I've just used those of other people.
And I think Steve Jobs is pretty evil.
He probably fucking eats people.
I've really ran out of ideas.
But I think you will all agree,
its probably because I'm out of weed.
« Last Edit: 3 June 2010, 21:59 by Kintaro »

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #3 on: 4 June 2010, 09:56 »
..because otherwise i dont know how i wouldve renamed my notepad-created map.svg.txt to simply map.svg.

I can't rename the file in properties, but I see now that notepad would have named it correctly if I selected all files from the drop down when i was saving it the first time, but once the file is created this neglects to work.

Oh no, no, it sounds like you've got it set up to hide the extensions of known file types which is the default setting and is really insecure because it enables harmful malware to be disguised as harmless non executable files e.g. I love you.txt.exe

I'd show you how to fix it but as you know, it's against the rules to provide Winblows help but the solution is probably easy to find on the Internet.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #4 on: 4 June 2010, 11:47 »
Some say "HideFileExt" "1" is the biggest failure for security in Windows. But, because Microsoft has implemented it since Windows 95, most Windows users are accustomed to it. I actually know some network administrators who make a Windows image with HideFileExt on 0 for themselves, then set it to 1 as a group policy for normal users.

That's because most normal users change the name "Financial Report v0.9.docx" to "Financial Report v1.0".
Of course, then it won't open automatically by Word.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #5 on: 4 June 2010, 12:05 »
because they're complete idiots.

Anyway, why doesn't the OS determine the file type by its content? This would make far more sense than trusting the filename to know the filetype.

MacOS has been doing this forever, no matter how many poems claim that it blows donkeys.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 4 June 2010, 14:41 »
because they're complete idiots.

Anyway, why doesn't the OS determine the file type by its content? This would make far more sense than trusting the filename to know the filetype.

MacOS has been doing this forever, no matter how many poems claim that it blows donkeys.
Linux does this too.

They actually removed the line number in the status bar for notepad on vista (thats what I was using).
WTF is up with that (im 90% sure this was in xp). Was it a too advanced feature for notepad?

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #7 on: 4 June 2010, 15:37 »
People would get confused. What is a line-number? What does it mean? Is it dangerous? Will my computer fail to work after a certain line-number has been reached?

Surprisingly, most Microsoft developers actually use Emacs. Or Visual Studio of course. The rest just use Notepad++.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #8 on: 4 June 2010, 15:48 »
Does Linux hide extensions too? Not with the file manage I'm using, Nautilus.

Yes, most Windows users don't know what they're doing, my dad thought that by renaming an odt to a doc it would work with Word.

One thing that would help is, when renaming files Windows would only automatically highlight the text before the extension which would make it less likely for them to change the extension; I know Linux does this.

The security problem can also be solved by only allowing executable permissions to files in the Windows and Program Files directories  but goodness knows whether this is possible for Windows and if it is, it'll probably break all kinds of things.

Regarding notepad; is word wrap enabled? I don't know about Vista but with XP the line numbers aren't displayed when word wrap is enabled.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #9 on: 4 June 2010, 16:09 »
One thing that would help is, when renaming files Windows would only automatically highlight the text before the extension which would make it less likely for them to change the extension; I know Linux does this.
Windows 7 also does this, but that won't stop people from editing the extension anyway, since they play the feature off as a weird annoyance.
The security problem can also be solved by only allowing executable permissions to files in the Windows and Program Files directories  but goodness knows whether this is possible for Windows and if it is, it'll probably break all kinds of things.
You can do this with Active Directory, but home users of course won't be able to get this kind of stupidity protection.
« Last Edit: 4 June 2010, 16:11 by Refalm »

yahurd

• Kudos: 384
  • Hero of Time
    • http://www.yahurd.my-place.us/
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2011, 15:58 »
C:\Users\S'Pherrot>cd ..

C:\Users>ld
'ld' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users>ls
'ls' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

C:\Users>ls
'ls' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

C:\Users>GODDAMIT LS
'GODDAMIT' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

C:\Users>LIST DEM FILES
'LIST' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

I must be doing something wrong here... lol

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2011, 21:50 »
I think 'ls' and 'cd' work in the computers building in college for me actually :) (and others i presume)

pretty sure you can find something to set this up online

reactosguy

• Kudos: 2
    • Microsoft Sucks !!!
« Reply #12 on: 22 July 2011, 06:25 »

Thank god the Command Line is in Windows or else I wouldn't be able to compile C++ shit or find out my IP Address with ipconfig.