All Things Microsoft > Microsoft Software

its a good thing windows still includes command prompt

<< < (2/3) > >>

Calum:
because they're complete idiots.

Anyway, why doesn't the OS determine the file type by its content? This would make far more sense than trusting the filename to know the filetype.

MacOS has been doing this forever, no matter how many poems claim that it blows donkeys.

piratePenguin:

--- Quote from: Calum on  4 June 2010, 12:05 ---because they're complete idiots.

Anyway, why doesn't the OS determine the file type by its content? This would make far more sense than trusting the filename to know the filetype.

MacOS has been doing this forever, no matter how many poems claim that it blows donkeys.

--- End quote ---
Linux does this too.

They actually removed the line number in the status bar for notepad on vista (thats what I was using).
WTF is up with that (im 90% sure this was in xp). Was it a too advanced feature for notepad?

Refalm:
People would get confused. What is a line-number? What does it mean? Is it dangerous? Will my computer fail to work after a certain line-number has been reached?

Surprisingly, most Microsoft developers actually use Emacs. Or Visual Studio of course. The rest just use Notepad++.

Aloone_Jonez:
Does Linux hide extensions too? Not with the file manage I'm using, Nautilus.

Yes, most Windows users don't know what they're doing, my dad thought that by renaming an odt to a doc it would work with Word.

One thing that would help is, when renaming files Windows would only automatically highlight the text before the extension which would make it less likely for them to change the extension; I know Linux does this.

The security problem can also be solved by only allowing executable permissions to files in the Windows and Program Files directories  but goodness knows whether this is possible for Windows and if it is, it'll probably break all kinds of things.

Regarding notepad; is word wrap enabled? I don't know about Vista but with XP the line numbers aren't displayed when word wrap is enabled.

Refalm:

--- Quote from: Aloone_Jonez on  4 June 2010, 15:48 ---One thing that would help is, when renaming files Windows would only automatically highlight the text before the extension which would make it less likely for them to change the extension; I know Linux does this.

--- End quote ---
Windows 7 also does this, but that won't stop people from editing the extension anyway, since they play the feature off as a weird annoyance.

--- Quote from: Aloone_Jonez on  4 June 2010, 15:48 ---The security problem can also be solved by only allowing executable permissions to files in the Windows and Program Files directories  but goodness knows whether this is possible for Windows and if it is, it'll probably break all kinds of things.

--- End quote ---
You can do this with Active Directory, but home users of course won't be able to get this kind of stupidity protection.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version