Operating Systems > macOS

Users or fans?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Aloone_Jonez:

--- Quote from: piratePenguin on 30 June 2010, 02:42 ---Btw, you're utterly correct. Devices LIKE the iPad, the iPhone are the future of consumer computing. Nothing else to say.

--- End quote ---

I hope not.

I don't like touch screens or tiny keyboards and tiny screens, I'd rather use a laptop or a proper PC. I don't see what all the fuss is about. There again, I admit I've never used one properly so maybe I'm not giving it a chance.

Refalm:
For me, it's that I can check on my smartphone where the fuck I am, search on the internet where I can find a decent Indonesian restaurant when I'm walking about in some town I never heard of, looking for directions on how to quickly get somewhere with public transportation, or being able to watch a movie anywhere when I'm utterly bored.
Those are the few reasons for me.

piratePenguin:

--- Quote from: Aloone_Jonez on 30 June 2010, 10:10 ---
--- Quote from: piratePenguin on 30 June 2010, 02:42 ---Btw, you're utterly correct. Devices LIKE the iPad, the iPhone are the future of consumer computing. Nothing else to say.

--- End quote ---

I hope not.

I don't like touch screens or tiny keyboards and tiny screens, I'd rather use a laptop or a proper PC. I don't see what all the fuss is about. There again, I admit I've never used one properly so maybe I'm not giving it a chance.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, I meant to change my post entirely but I didn't bother. In the post I made, my main point is that imo, Apple will be lucky to be doing just well when the world enters the battlefield.

I don't like the ipad so much (I think it will be successful for a while, but useless to people such as me. In fact it is because apple aren't targeting people like me, you Aloone, that the ipad is/will be successful), a lot of people I've asked don't like it so much, but you still always hear about the people who are actually in love with it.

These devices won't change the desktop/laptop markets much in the foreseeable future - people still need them when doing work becomes important.

worker201:

--- Quote from: Aloone_Jonez on 30 June 2010, 10:10 ---I don't like touch screens or tiny keyboards and tiny screens, I'd rather use a laptop or a proper PC.

--- End quote ---

People probably used to feel the same way about keyboards and mice - they're so clunky compared to punch cards.  And yet they got over it.

I really don't think desktops and laptops are really a part of the future - in the same way that tubes and transistors aren't part of our present.  I envision something like the timeshare machines of the past.  Except the terminals are WAP-enabled devices with a minimum of tactile interfaces, and the mainframe is a data server so fast you don't even realize you're sharing.  Even heavy processes, like rendering and decryption, which have traditionally required lots of processor cycles, can be accomplished remotely.

Lead Head:

--- Quote from: worker201 on  1 July 2010, 02:52 ---
--- Quote from: Aloone_Jonez on 30 June 2010, 10:10 ---I don't like touch screens or tiny keyboards and tiny screens, I'd rather use a laptop or a proper PC.

--- End quote ---

People probably used to feel the same way about keyboards and mice - they're so clunky compared to punch cards.  And yet they got over it.

I really don't think desktops and laptops are really a part of the future - in the same way that tubes and transistors aren't part of our present.  I envision something like the timeshare machines of the past.  Except the terminals are WAP-enabled devices with a minimum of tactile interfaces, and the mainframe is a data server so fast you don't even realize you're sharing.  Even heavy processes, like rendering and decryption, which have traditionally required lots of processor cycles, can be accomplished remotely.

--- End quote ---

Transistors aren't part of our present? :D

Anyways, I agree that is probably where we are going. I don't think we're going to tiny screen devices, the current trend right now is actually trying to get HD video onto portable devices with bigger and sharper screens. HTC Evo, iPad, etc..

I don't agree about tactile feedback though. Trying to type with any kind of speed or accuracy on a touchscreen is a nightmare. I "downgraded" from a nice ergonomic keyboard to a clunky 1992 IBM Model M keyboard that has buckling spring key switches - and my typing speed and accuracy improved hugely. Using modern rubber dome keyboards is actually frustrating now.

So they're going to have to come up with some kind of tactile feedback IMO, whether it be buttons under the screen or some kind of piezoelectric device that makes each touch screen press feel like you're pushing a button (which is in play on some devices actually)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version