Author Topic: Hand Coded CMS System  (Read 2617 times)

yourlife

• Kudos: 2
  • The One And Only Autistic Albino!
    • Yourlife
Hand Coded CMS System
« on: 1 August 2010, 20:41 »
I need some help with making a CMS system, I tried following the instructions at some blog I found: it failed.
I really want to be able to hand code it (or copy and past :P ) because I want to customize it EXACTLY to what I want/need.
Basically I need a CMS system that can add web pages into sections and have a basic user/group management with a PMS system as well and article comments. While keeping the admin area personalised as well.
I would also like it to integrate into a forum system (hand coded).
This is mainly because I want it to look exactly how I want it and work exactly how I want it.

PHP5, MySQL, XHTML 1.0 Strict.
« Last Edit: 1 August 2010, 20:47 by yourlife »
By the worlds one and only Albino with Aspergers! Yes I'm awesome
http://www.yourlifegroup.org

• VIP
  • Kudos: 223
Re: Hand Coded CMS System
« Reply #1 on: 1 August 2010, 21:10 »
If I was doing this, I'd just modify WordPress or another CMS that I like, just because of course, it will likely be damn secure. Saying that, if you know what you're doing then coding your own CMS is quite a good idea, just make sure you keep it closed source if you want it to remain secure :P.

Really what I would recommend though, is instead of following a whole tutorial on making a CMS, instead just have a look at tutorials for each of the PHP functions you need, then work out how you'll need them to be used in your CMS, and work from there.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #2 on: 1 August 2010, 22:13 »
If I was doing this, I'd just modify WordPress or another CMS that I like, just because of course, it will likely be damn secure. Saying that, if you know what you're doing then coding your own CMS is quite a good idea, just make sure you keep it open source if you want it to remain secure :P.
Fixed  :P

Seriously, I find it hard to believe that you need to create your own - have you seen WordPress, Plone, Drupal? They are all extensible, it may be a better idea to make your own extensions - though I still bet you can just find the extensions you need already.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #3 on: 2 August 2010, 21:04 »
I need some help with making a CMS system, I tried following the instructions at some blog I found: it failed.
I really want to be able to hand code it (or copy and past :P ) because I want to customize it EXACTLY to what I want/need.
Basically I need a CMS system that can add web pages into sections and have a basic user/group management with a PMS system as well and article comments. While keeping the admin area personalised as well.
I would also like it to integrate into a forum system (hand coded).
This is mainly because I want it to look exactly how I want it and work exactly how I want it.

PHP5, MySQL, XHTML 1.0 Strict.

Drupal needs your help being a CMS system. Seriously, it is incredibly easy to get into and there are so many modules already for it you might be wasting time reinventing the wheel - but as a learning experience doing this from scratch could be incredibly beneficial. When developing an application, even a CMS, I find it easiest to design the tables for the database first before touching any PHP.

You might just have a simple table for pages, with two columns "UID" (int) and "post." (string)  And another simple table for users with columns like UID, Name, Email, Verified (BOOL).

Then comes the simple part, you make some classes and functions to access users and posts. You will want a class for users, posts, and another one or a function that shits out that perfect  XHTML.

The benefit of OO is you can expand it later so pages are simply made of one or more posts in a table called pages, with an object called pages. Then you actually have something similar to drupal.

Youngins' like ya'self usually struggle mainly on structure so I've given you some here. Enjoy your project and share it with us lad.

MSN: [email protected]

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #4 on: 2 August 2010, 22:22 »
Sorry, can't leave until you people learn to teach a man to fish at least. You all tell yourlife to give up. I started at this lads age and I intend on using this forum.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: 3 August 2010, 00:17 »
I finished at this lads age and I intend on using this forum.
Fixed.

It's good to see that it seems like the recent pressure I applied to see you permabanned again has resulted in a short-term burst of niceness from you. I am so great.  :D

When I make it to Australia, I'll buy you a lollipop for all of this. Keep it real.
« Last Edit: 3 August 2010, 00:20 by piratePenguin »

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #6 on: 3 August 2010, 13:19 »
I wonder how much it costs to mail a lollipop to Australia? :D
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 3 August 2010, 13:31 »
Nah. Someday I'll have to go over and give him one. By the time I'm able to travel I might make my mind up to give him a punch instead though.