Author Topic: NT or Linux internet connection sharing?  (Read 484 times)

badpenny

• Kudos: 0
NT or Linux internet connection sharing?
« on: 25 January 2003, 16:38 »
Ive just thrown a bucket of water over myself to stop any flames hurting too much!  :D  

I have (at the moment) a winxp and Mandrake9 dual boot on my HP pavilion notebook, im only dual booting (into xp) for web access cos the notebook has a damn winmodem which doesnt seem to be supported fully under linux (there is an experimental driver I found but that will be for the future),

Im a noob with linux, and I want to drop xp totally, so my plan is use Mandrake to go through a lan and use internet connection sharing, but I dont know enough about linux to set this up (yet) so should I (can I) set up nt4 server on a spare machine (Dell Dimension 333mhz 512mb ram)to share the connection with Linux so that i can dump xp altogether?

Then when I have learned enough to set up a linux server I will drop nt and go for broke.

I would like to go for broke now and struggle with Linux on both the Notebook and server (Im sure the hardcore will say "go for it you will learn more that way")
But I know that if the learning curve is far too steep initialy and im cut off from the web then I will cave in and go back to the dark side and I REALLY dont want to do that.

Im trying to be practical using the crawl, walk, run then run faster idea

What do you guys think?
Any advice or tips would be gladly recieved
Coming into the light from the dark side,
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, & its not that far away!  

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2003, 17:04 »
Mandrake has a tool for this but I don't know how well it works. Or you could do it the manual way similar to Red Hat and the others:

If you will look at the last few messages in this thread you will see where someone else just learned how to do it manually:
http://voidmain.kicks-ass.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20&start=15

The example doesn't address adding more firewall rules to prevent incoming traffic (keep hackers out) but it will give you an idea of what is going on under the covers...
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

badpenny

« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2003, 17:21 »
@Void Main

Thanks very much for that,
as luck would have it, im doing my semester 1 ccna at the moment.
So I suppose that although it initially looks complicated its not if I can get my head round the ip addressing and subnets as you suggested.

Cheers
BP

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2003, 18:07 »
Most definately ip subnetting is a big part of the CCNA. You can expect some test questions on the subject. But then of course you are also going to need to know things line rip, igrp, eigrp, frame relay, isdn, etc, etc...
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2003, 01:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Bad Penny:
Ive just thrown a bucket of water over myself to stop any flames hurting too much!   :D    

I have (at the moment) a winxp and Mandrake9 dual boot on my HP pavilion notebook, im only dual booting (into xp) for web access cos the notebook has a damn winmodem which doesnt seem to be supported fully under linux (there is an experimental driver I found but that will be for the future),

Im a noob with linux, and I want to drop xp totally, so my plan is use Mandrake to go through a lan and use internet connection sharing, but I dont know enough about linux to set this up (yet) so should I (can I) set up nt4 server on a spare machine (Dell Dimension 333mhz 512mb ram)to share the connection with Linux so that i can dump xp altogether?

Then when I have learned enough to set up a linux server I will drop nt and go for broke.

I would like to go for broke now and struggle with Linux on both the Notebook and server (Im sure the hardcore will say "go for it you will learn more that way")
But I know that if the learning curve is far too steep initialy and im cut off from the web then I will cave in and go back to the dark side and I REALLY dont want to do that.

Im trying to be practical using the crawl, walk, run then run faster idea

What do you guys think?
Any advice or tips would be gladly recieved

After you have internet connection sharing set up, you should be able to just set the gateway on the linux machine (in the network settings) to the ip address of the sharing machine. Of course you do need to be in the same network (usually 192.168.0.X), and the same subnet (i think so at least). I've only tried this with windows 2k and xp ICS though, it should work the same for nt i think though. good luck.

badpenny

« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2003, 02:44 »
Thanks for taking the time to answer me guys.

Cheers
BP