Author Topic: Haiku Alpha 2  (Read 4248 times)

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Haiku Alpha 2
« on: 7 September 2010, 06:35 »
Well, it boots and runs. It runs BeOS software. I'm supposed to be able to make the WiFi in my netbook work, but I can't find where in the UI one would configure networking. There's an incredibly chintzy little network manager, but it makes the stuff from System 7 look like server configuration.

Since the thing is built on Linux, I assume that the old fashioned methods work. I hope.

As far as speed, it boots on a Celeron 600 lappy in about twenty seconds from the Live CD. Think more like ten if starting from the HD. On my dual-core Atom netbook, we're thinking more... Oh... Five second boot-time? I can't say about stability, since I can't really use it for anything. I need to just put it through its paces running a bunch of crap until it blows up,  but I don't think it will. It seems pretty rock-solid. It's a great re-implementation of BeOS in FOSS.

As much as I hate to harp on it, Haiku makes a lot of other FOSS projects look downright lazy. GNUStep is who I'm looking at. Linux+GNUStep could have easily become the FOSS Mac OS X, but the GNUStep devs seem far more interested in creating a panacea for other developers without a clear aim as to what people would run the software on.

Haiku though has in a decade, gone from "big ideas" to a complete product. Haiku and ReactOS really seem to be the caliber of teams that FOSS needs. Hats off to 'em!
Go the fuck ~

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: Haiku Alpha 2
« Reply #1 on: 7 September 2010, 07:37 »
Damn, it's a big ask to write so much software and get a new operating system to the state they've achieved right now.

But getting adoption is still going to be the ultimate task. If they keep up their perseverance, I imagine a 1.0 release in a couple years could shake things up for some of us.

Hats off, surely.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #2 on: 8 September 2010, 00:19 »
They even managed to re-implement the BeOS filesystem. Journaling and DB-like structure intact. Full filesystem queries are available. You can get a Live CD image or an image ready for VM at their site. I think it's worth checking out, it's less than a 200MB d/l. Just don't get it from the Ibiblio mirror, it's slower than molasses in winter  :P
Go the fuck ~

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #3 on: 8 September 2010, 04:14 »
The SourceForge link seemed to work pretty good. Going to throw the ISO onto a Live-CD tomorrow and check it out.
sig.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #4 on: 8 September 2010, 22:27 »
Hit us back with what you think. Don't be too surprised if the OS and its interface is kinda blah. All they've done is faithfully re-implement BeOS, and the things it could do were really really badass...

... In 1995. Now it's just this weird thing that kinda is there to remind everybody of what a Macintosh used to kind of be like. Technically impressive, yes. Interesting, no.

If you can find some software to run on it and manage to get your networking going, though, I think it'd be great for day to day use though.
Go the fuck ~

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: 9 September 2010, 00:19 »
This is good news - once it has a modern browser sure it might even give me a faster development experience on this old yoke.

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #6 on: 9 September 2010, 01:34 »
WebPositive is included in the Alpha 2 release. Again, if you can get networking going, it should be a lovely experience!
Go the fuck ~

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #7 on: 9 September 2010, 03:52 »
Isn't Haiku based on the NewOS kernel?

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 9 September 2010, 06:24 »
Yes it is.

FireFox is available, but I believe its only version 2 or 2.5
sig.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2010, 04:02 »
Well I put the live image on a USB drive and tried it on main desktop. It didn't get passed the boot screen. It got to the picture of the drive with a leaf infront of it, then entered Kernel Debug Land saying something about unable to mount a boot drive or something?

Worked just fine on my laptop though. Took only 25 seconds between when the boot screen first showed up and when the desktop was fully loaded. I was pretty impressed with how nicely it ran, and how much software came pre-loaded on it. I was not able to test out internet though, since the laptop was wireless only.

Interface doesn't seem dated, but its not all that pretty.

Maybe I'll see if I can get it to work on my other desktop and check it out some more.
sig.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: 11 September 2010, 14:39 »
Broadcom recently (like a week ago) opened up their linux drivers, meaning that every single wireless card you'll find on a computer will work out of the box on gnu/linux distros very shortly, according to what I've heard.

Networking is clearly a hugely important spot for these Haiku guys to work on, I wonder can they capitalize on linux work?

I was gonna try it, but really if I can't get on wireless I can't do anything on it. Otherwise it could be a pretty sweet (and fast) development setup for this aging machine.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #11 on: 12 September 2010, 03:23 »
It's about time. Now if the same came from Ralink, then we could get real WiFi support on Mac OS X Hackintosh, rather than their ass-tastic drivers.
Go the fuck ~

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #12 on: 12 September 2010, 04:08 »
It's about time. Now if the same came from Ralink, then we could get real WiFi support on Mac OS X Hackintosh, rather than their ass-tastic drivers.
Eh? See http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Thanks

Our deepest thanks go out to the following groups and individuals

Ralink for providing the chipsets and placing their source-code under the GPL license
    The developers for their hard work and sleepless nights
    Minitar for making the initial push to get the source under GPL license
    All the contributors that have helped along the way
    Hardware vendors that have donated rt2x00 based cards to help development
    Hardware donations not related to rt2x00 based cards
I've a ralink card and I've known this for years. During my first few months I was using slackware and compiling the driver, after when I moved to ubuntu all was out-of-the-box.

I think all ralink cards are the same?

It makes absolute sense to copy Linux drivers, if someone would take up the task. It may be that it's extremely difficult (even if all of the code is gpl..), but if someone can make a linux package that runs windows closed-source wireless drivers, you have to wonder.

I'm sure in Haikus case it's a sheer lack of developer time, but networking should be high on the to do list by now. They seem to have a sweet setup, but who wants a computer without networking..
« Last Edit: 12 September 2010, 04:14 by piratePenguin »

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #13 on: 12 September 2010, 08:44 »
Dammit!

I just started with C. Maybe one day I'll be good enough with Objective-C to start working with OS X kexts. Then maybe start understanding x86 assembly.

Then maybe, just maybe I could start to port the Ralink Linux drivers to OS X so that there's proper OS WiFi support. See...

For Hackintosh users with Ralink WiFi on their netbooks like me, we're forced to use an asstastic "Network Configuration Utility" that is some oldschool Windows 2000 era software. They don't make it work with OS X's built-in shit.
Go the fuck ~

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #14 on: 12 September 2010, 22:07 »
How good is BeOS security wise?

From what I gather it's like Windows ME with everything running as administrator.

If this is true, then it needs to be sorted if it's to become a real desktop OS, otherwise the only use it will be is for mobile devices.

Of course security isn't a problem as long as nobody uses it but as soon as it becomes popular that will change.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu: