Operating Systems > Not Quite Mainstream OSes

Haiku Alpha 2

<< < (3/5) > >>

piratePenguin:
Broadcom recently (like a week ago) opened up their linux drivers, meaning that every single wireless card you'll find on a computer will work out of the box on gnu/linux distros very shortly, according to what I've heard.

Networking is clearly a hugely important spot for these Haiku guys to work on, I wonder can they capitalize on linux work?

I was gonna try it, but really if I can't get on wireless I can't do anything on it. Otherwise it could be a pretty sweet (and fast) development setup for this aging machine.

hm_murdock:
It's about time. Now if the same came from Ralink, then we could get real WiFi support on Mac OS X Hackintosh, rather than their ass-tastic drivers.

piratePenguin:

--- Quote from: hm_murdock on 12 September 2010, 03:23 ---It's about time. Now if the same came from Ralink, then we could get real WiFi support on Mac OS X Hackintosh, rather than their ass-tastic drivers.

--- End quote ---
Eh? See http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

--- Quote ---Thanks

Our deepest thanks go out to the following groups and individuals

Ralink for providing the chipsets and placing their source-code under the GPL license
    The developers for their hard work and sleepless nights
    Minitar for making the initial push to get the source under GPL license
    All the contributors that have helped along the way
    Hardware vendors that have donated rt2x00 based cards to help development
    Hardware donations not related to rt2x00 based cards
--- End quote ---
I've a ralink card and I've known this for years. During my first few months I was using slackware and compiling the driver, after when I moved to ubuntu all was out-of-the-box.

I think all ralink cards are the same?

It makes absolute sense to copy Linux drivers, if someone would take up the task. It may be that it's extremely difficult (even if all of the code is gpl..), but if someone can make a linux package that runs windows closed-source wireless drivers, you have to wonder.

I'm sure in Haikus case it's a sheer lack of developer time, but networking should be high on the to do list by now. They seem to have a sweet setup, but who wants a computer without networking..

hm_murdock:
Dammit!

I just started with C. Maybe one day I'll be good enough with Objective-C to start working with OS X kexts. Then maybe start understanding x86 assembly.

Then maybe, just maybe I could start to port the Ralink Linux drivers to OS X so that there's proper OS WiFi support. See...

For Hackintosh users with Ralink WiFi on their netbooks like me, we're forced to use an asstastic "Network Configuration Utility" that is some oldschool Windows 2000 era software. They don't make it work with OS X's built-in shit.

Aloone_Jonez:
How good is BeOS security wise?

From what I gather it's like Windows ME with everything running as administrator.

If this is true, then it needs to be sorted if it's to become a real desktop OS, otherwise the only use it will be is for mobile devices.

Of course security isn't a problem as long as nobody uses it but as soon as it becomes popular that will change.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version