Poll

Please be honest. Is Kinect a fail or not?

Yeah, Nintendo Wii has already took 1st place.
2 (40%)
Yeah, but it won't be in a year or so.
1 (20%)
Nah, Kinect is amazing.
0 (0%)
Nah, but it will fail soon.
1 (20%)
ReactOSGuy, stop doing this!!!
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Microsoft wants you X-cited  (Read 2400 times)

reactosguy

• Kudos: 2
    • Microsoft Sucks !!!
Microsoft wants you X-cited
« on: 26 September 2010, 03:43 »
http://www.montrealgazette.com/technology/Microsoft+wants+cited/3574339/story.html

Kinect will hit shelves on November 4. It will be sold in a bundle with an almost eponymous game and Xbox 360 for $300.

Unlike Nintendo Wii, which relies on controllers, Kinect uses motion sensors and sensitive microphones to perform actions. They say "Xbox, stop" to end the game.

But as great as this sounds, Kinect is probably a late-game failure. The Nintendo Wii has already gained ground, and it's unlikely Kinect will flood most of it. This is a prediction, but I hope The Nintendo Wii isn't below sea level anytime soon.

Please share your discussions. Do you think Kinect is a game breaker or a game failure?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: Microsoft wants you X-cited
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2010, 09:28 »
 I don't know.

Expensive attachments for games consoles don't have a history of doing well, especially when some games will require said extensions: Sega tried it will the super CD and 32x for their Megadrive (Genesis in the US) and it didn't take off, they should've just released a new console with both features built-in and maybe offered them as upgrades for Megadrive owners. The problem is it limits the market to those who already have an Xbox 360 so perhaps they should offer it to new Xbox 360 customers at a third of the price?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2010, 13:43 »
Nintendo proved that expensive attachments can work. They did it with Wii Fit, which is highly successful.

It sells for € 85, but it includes a few really great games. That makes the price payed for a new feature okay, since the new feature costs € 35, taking into account that games usually sell for € 50.

What Microsoft is trying to do with Kinect is similar, create a new feature, and attach games that support the new feature. The proposed price of € 130 is a tad too high, especially considering there are no games bundled. They expect people to buy a feature, and buy the game that supports that feature for € 50 extra.
There's also a chance that it won't pick up, since all the casual gamers are using the Wii. Xbox gamers usually are online multiplayer fanatics, and probably not interested in jumping and arm waving by using a glorified EyeToy.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2010, 13:47 by Refalm »

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2010, 06:27 »
The problem with all these motion controllers, is that they seem to be a novelty. Everyone I know with a Wii was very excited about it at first, but they now either A. Use gamecube controllers / hold wii-mote in traditional console fashion or B. Don't play their Wii at all.

IMO, Kinect will be popular at first, then just pan out to be a gimmick.
sig.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2010, 10:39 »
Nintendo proved that expensive attachments can work. They did it with Wii Fit, which is highly successful.

It sells for € 85, but it includes a few really great games. That makes the price payed for a new feature okay, since the new feature costs € 35, taking into account that games usually sell for € 50.

What Microsoft is trying to do with Kinect is similar, create a new feature, and attach games that support the new feature. The proposed price of € 130 is a tad too high, especially considering there are no games bundled. They expect people to buy a feature, and buy the game that supports that feature for € 50 extra.
That's really my point, it's more expensive than Wii fit and doesn't include any games.

What Nintendo did only worked because it came with good games and was reasonably priced which is why I think MS are making a similar mistake to Sega back in the 90s.

I don't have either an Xbox 360 or a Wii and if I wanted to buy a games console other than the traditional type with controllers, I'd buy a Wii, rather than spending money on an Xbox, then more on the extension and even more on a game.

There's also a chance that it won't pick up, since all the casual gamers are using the Wii. Xbox gamers usually are online multiplayer fanatics, and probably not interested in jumping and arm waving by using a glorified EyeToy.
That's probably also true: the Xbox is probably aimed at more hardcore gamers, the Wii is aimed more at everyone else.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2010, 12:25 »
It's pretty bizarre that Hudson (known for Bomberman and the TurboGrafx-16 console) even attempted this, but they are launching a first-person-shooter for Kinect.
This is a FPS on Kinect

Sony already made a reaction:
Kevin Butler "Moves" from the FUTURE
Scroll to 1:00.

Wii has a few good first-person-shooters. But then again, working the WiiMote and the Nunchuk works great, and sometimes even better than keyboard+mouse (talking about Quake, Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel 2, Medal of Honor: Heroes 2,  and The Conduit).
The ability to actually shoot by hitting a button, and turn around by using the nunchuk, is far more responsive than waving your pistol finger in the air.
« Last Edit: 14 October 2010, 19:12 by Refalm »