All Things Microsoft > Microsoft as a Company

IE 9 tells you to "Never Mind The Bullets"

(1/3) > >>

reactosguy:
http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2010/09/26/ie9-tells-you-never-mind-the-bullets-in-comic-to-showcase-html5/

--- Quote ---Microsoft has launched a new site to demo HTML5 in IE9 called “Never Mind The Bullets” – which is an interactive, hardware accelerated, HTML5, Old West themed comic book.  The site is designed to highlight the following HTML5 features:

* Font face loading
* SVG background
* Header & Section layout
* JavaScript acceleration
* CSS3 Multi-background
* Editable content
--- End quote ---

It's really amazing. Thank You Microsoft for offering an HTML5 comic!

I also have to ask, "Why Is Microsoft Recommending IE9 To Read This?" It's their marketing strategy. They're trying to bury people in their sands by convincing them that IE9 will give the best experience. As far as I can tell, the first page works under Firefox 3.6.10.

Please comment on the site. The first page of the site works on Firefox 3.6.10, and Microsoft can never change that fact without cheating on them.

Aloone_Jonez:
I couldn't get it to work with Opera, for some reason it doesn't finish loading, then my Internet connection stops working so I have to reset my modem and router to look at any other sites, which seems ominous. I've tried setting the user agent to Internet Explorer and it still didn't work, the annoying message didn't go away, probably because Opera was identifying itself as IE 6 or something like that.

The whole thing works with Firefox and I think it's supposed to. If they wanted it to be IE only, they could've used Silverlight and ActivX controls but the whole point is to use HTML 5 which works on all browser.

I don't have IE 9 and can't  use it because it needs Vista or later. It's s bit jerky but that's to be expected as it's designed for IE9 which has hardware acceleration. The question is: could this be optimised for Firefox so it runs just as fast as it does under IE9 or is IE9 genuinely faster at rendering this kind of thing?

piratePenguin:
wrt performance, MS have been blowing their trumpet saying that IE9 has hardware acceleration that a cross-platform browser (i.e. every other browser) cannot achieve, but this has been blown outof the water on mozilla blogs, where they are anticipating as gud or better performance. wrt javascript, see arewefastyet.com and you can see firefox 4 is close to or ahead of safari, and approaching chrome in performance, but the trend is pretty telling.

fx4 will unfortunately only have hw acceleration on windows, but i expect the rest will come after

reactosguy:

--- Quote from: Aloone_Jonez on 27 September 2010, 09:22 ---The whole thing works with Firefox and I think it's supposed to. If they wanted it to be IE only, they could've used Silverlight and ActivX controls but the whole point is to use HTML 5 which works on all browser.

--- End quote ---

Microsoft could have made their own HTML5 tags. Fortunately, that didn't happen, either because MS employees could not think of tags because all of their ideas has been used, or Microsoft wants to use open standards.

Stupid stupid Microsoft tales.  :P

Lead Head:
Interesting to see Microsoft embracing HTML5 so much. Wonder if this means they are going to ditch Silverlight? It seems to me that HTML5 will essentially be able to to the exact same things Flash/Silverlight can do today. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version