Miscellaneous > Applications

What do you think of the MS Office Ribbon interface?

<< < (2/5) > >>

reactosguy:

--- Quote from: Aloone_Jonez on 30 October 2010, 15:18 ---It looks like it's got some good new features but I don't like the new user interface. Is it just plain shit or is it that I'm not used to it?

I noticed that some other new software has adopted a similar UI, most notably for me AutoCAD so it can't be that bad, although at least it has an option to revert back to the old UI. All I can say, is I hope OpenOffice doesn't adopt ribbon or if it does, there should be an option to switch back.

--- End quote ---

I hate Ribbon. Why? It decreases writing space and competitors to MS Office can't use it. Flip out.

Oh yeah, and OpenOffice.org is implementing their own Ribbon-like UI in version 3.3 as of my knowledge.

Aloone_Jonez:
I agree.

I've now installed OxygenOffice on my computer at work because I can't get used to the shitty ribbon UI. MS Office 2010 is supposed to be better but I don't see the point in paying more for what is probably only a bug fix for the shit UI.

If OOo is going to do a similar thing, I hope they make a decent job of it or do as AutoCAD have done and provide an option to revert back to the old UI.

MS have patented ribbon UI so it would be interesting to see if other developers get sued for implementing it.

reactosguy:

--- Quote from: Aloone_Jonez on 16 November 2010, 21:55 ---MS have patented ribbon UI so it would be interesting to see if other developers get sued for implementing it.

--- End quote ---

I don't think they can do that. Last time I checked, Wikipedia says it's prior art, since a similar interface was used in Macromedia HomeSite or whatever it was called.

In addition, Microsoft is taking advantage of licenses: They don't want other office suites, regardless of license, to be publicly released with Ribbon, because "it will help you tap into the full potential of Office". No matter what MS intends on doing with that policy, it's an excellent but unfair decision-something that WordPerfect can't take advantage of, but will more likely screw Office users.

--- Quote from: Aloone_Jonez on 16 November 2010, 21:55 ---I've now installed OxygenOffice on my computer at work because I can't   get used to the shitty ribbon UI. MS Office 2010 is supposed to be   better but I don't see the point in paying more for what is probably   only a bug fix for the shit UI.

--- End quote ---

Microsoft and their "innovative" GUIs.

The fan made "Copenhagen" concept for Windows 8 looks like it will need more clicks to achieve the same thing. It also bears a resemblance to Blackbox of *Nix fame.

--- Quote from: Aloone_Jonez on 16 November 2010, 21:55 ---If OOo is going to do a similar thing, I hope they make a decent job of it or do as AutoCAD have done and provide an option to revert back to the old UI.

--- End quote ---

At least with OpenOffice.org, you get to modify the GUI, if you're good at the OOP juggernauts C++ and Java.

Aloone_Jonez:

--- Quote from: reactosguy on 21 November 2010, 21:25 ---At least with OpenOffice.org, you get to modify the GUI, if you're good at the OOP juggernauts C++ and Java.
--- End quote ---
I shouldn't need to know any of that shit to get the UI to work how I want it to.

By the way, I noticed we're not up to RC6 for OOo 3.3, it looks like there're a lot of bugs that need to be squashed. I think I'll leave upgrading for awhile. I'll wait until the OxygenOffice version has been out for a bit before upgrading to it.

Aloone_Jonez:
A month later and OOo 3.3 still isn't out, it's on RC8. I'm glad they've not released it too soon and think it's better to hold back rather than having an unstable product.

I've been on an AutoCAD course and I still hate the ribbon UI. It's the lack of a menu bar which I can't stand. I enabled the classic menu bar and could find the commands much more quickly even though the instructor was teaching assuming everyone was using ribbon!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version