Author Topic: R.I.P. Ubuntu  (Read 2195 times)

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
R.I.P. Ubuntu
« on: 10 November 2010, 11:10 »
Ubuntu is going to die in April of 2011. And Unity and Wayland killed it. Ubuntu will adopt these two over Gnome and X.Org.

If you're not familiar with these two pieces of software, Unity is a crappy Gnome-shell that's limited to the point of ridiculous, and Wayland is an X client that's underdeveloped.

Instead of sticking with Gnome and X.Org and improving them, they have chosen to completely ignore every application out there that runs flawlessly on X.Org. The Ubuntu buglist and user forum will be smoking.
Also forget about gaming. nvidia rightfully doesn't want to support Wayland. The whole project is in alpha status at this point for God sakes.

Ubuntu was great, and I'm very sad it has to become unusable. I hope another distribution can do the same what Ubuntu did in terms of easily installing anything. Maybe Linux Mint, which will keep Gnome and X.Org.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
Re: R.I.P. Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2010, 23:24 »
I haven't used Unity; I was hoping that Ubuntu would evolve it into a better desktop environment than Gnome. I highly dislike the Gnome Shell idea of 3.0.

I want my Ubuntu Satanic. Mint Satanic? Meh. :(

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2010, 06:44 »
Does Ubuntu put beta bulids out? I'd like to see this for myself.

Now, I'm not expert on the gritty-details of Linux, but you're saying that once they switch to Wayland, it will break compatibility with many things? Is there any specific reason why they want to change?
sig.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2010, 12:06 »
Wayland is a pure composoting desktop. Which means that's faster than X.Org + Compiz.
Too bad there is virtually no documentation and it's in alpha.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2010, 18:33 »
Does Ubuntu put beta bulids out? I'd like to see this for myself.

Now, I'm not expert on the gritty-details of Linux, but you're saying that once they switch to Wayland, it will break compatibility with many things? Is there any specific reason why they want to change?
X11 applications will still run, there could be some issues but I doubt anything major. Afaik gnome will still be available - Wayland won't work for all devices and thus, I think, Ubuntu will need to support gnome too.

Ubuntu is thinking about the future, and searching for a single environment that will work for people on their desktops, notebooks and ultra portables and mobile phones. I'm not too sure it's such a bad thing that they have the balls to decide they are their own operating system, and their ambition is greater than tagging along with every other distro and never trying anything a little bit risky.

You may be able to get an alpha (I don't know), but bear in mind that they still have almost 6 months to get this system working. In Ubuntu, 6 months is a long time.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2010, 00:16 »
Sounds like progress to me.  X11 is antiquated and its remote display capabilities are useless for most desktop users. 

Been hoping for this for years now.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2010, 00:48 »
Probably, but Ubuntu and Fedora are jumping the bandwagon way too soon. For a product that isn't even out of alpha yet, they want to include it in their April 2011 release.

Let Wayland finish something first, then do serious bug-hunting, then give nvidia, Intel, AMD and ATI time to adopt it.