Author Topic: And life begins to get on track  (Read 3098 times)

yahurd

• Kudos: 384
  • Hero of Time
    • http://www.yahurd.my-place.us/
And life begins to get on track
« on: 10 January 2011, 15:17 »
2 years ago I was a burgeoning 18 year old geek.

I was happy running my little home built optiplex gx 1, a dual boot system with 2 hard drives one double partitioned.

Extra space, ubuntu/fedora (based on wether at some point that month I got "I FORMATTED IT LAST NIGHT?!?!?!" tired from sleepless nights of working and learning), and an xp install I kept only for flash, which I actually KNEW how to use...

and then it happened. I was planning to move in with a friend and my mom didn't like him, so the day before we took a trip to my grandparents house miles and miles away.  O?O

No problem! lets get my life on track again, I can run a dual boot of fedora on the pc here, install flash on the other OS, and its actually good news! there's a college here I can take some classes get back on my feet and WTH? I'm living somewhere else, miles and miles away,  :'( okay, i can do this I can WTH? grandparents again? JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I worked and saved and worked and saved and hoped and worked and made enough money for a cross country bus ticket to a friend I met online (big leap of faith there!!!) who would help if I helped back by working for his landlord.

That was 2 years ago and the shellshock has worn down enough that I'm beginning  to go back to learning so I can eventually make money with this.

A simple/shared pc currently dual booting between windows 7 and ubuntu...

I liked fedora, back when it was fedora core, and when they made the name change.

Ubuntu was always good, easy, there for me.

I was thinking of trying gentoo, because Theis pc has an internet connection that would FINALLY let me install it.

I mainly plan to use it for java development/trying out open source vector animation and illustration programs and blender, etc.

All of them would excel at that, but I don't know which to use after 2 years of being out of the OS loop.

I wish there was a point system here for keeping my hard drive throughout it all (week in a shelter included) for 2 years without being able to use it, til  the final plugging in and it has been through a too much abuse, wear and travel to work anymore.

« Last Edit: 10 January 2011, 15:20 by yahurd »

yahurd

• Kudos: 384
  • Hero of Time
    • http://www.yahurd.my-place.us/
Re: And life begins to get on track
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2011, 18:50 »
Any tips?

Whats been going on in the linux worlds?

Anything develop a major issue in fedora or ubuntu? Ubuntu decide to drop keyboard support because users might find it too complicated? Fedora attempt to start from scratch based on 0's 1's and 42's?

001010101421010142101042042 = Query: what is the question?