Operating Systems > Linux and UNIX

Slow...slow..slow..

<< < (2/3) > >>

Lead Head:
This is running an older version of Ubuntu, really old. 9.04 or 9.10, can't quite remember

piratePenguin:
On my computer (which has a slower cpu and almost half your ram), when Ubuntu starts slowing down it's normally one or two processes: the update notifier (everything related to package management seems bloated on this hardware, god damn ridiculous), or its the Ubuntu one sync daemon. I just kill those processes if they're taking up resources (normally memory - and that seriously limits my available ram).

If you don't use Ubuntu one for syncing files then the latter mightn't have an effect, but it causes such disruption for me (I do use it for syncing files) that I think it has retards behind it. (there are other reasons I think this is true, including buggy behavior in 9.10 preventing me from logging in, and fucking with my files that it ballsed up the sync process for. It should be such a quality piece of software..)

Barring those things getting in my way my old hog works nicely. I can't wait to replace it soon, but I still love it.

Are you sure your hardware hasn't degraded?

Lead Head:
Hardware is fine. I have a Windows XP install on the machine too, and it runs fine. I have it boot Ubuntu, because it's the family computer, and quite frankly they would destroy a windows install in a matter of days with viri and spyware.

I think I'm just going to back up any important files on it, check the hard drive smart data for reallocated sectors, format it, and install 10.10

yahurd:
Certainly came along way from 5.x and 6.10...

In a bad way :(

Lead Head:
Well it is running better with 10.10, still not how fast it should be. I think I'm going to shove a new harddrive in it, even though this one checked out fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version