Author Topic: Slow...slow..slow..  (Read 2471 times)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
Slow...slow..slow..
« on: 12 January 2011, 20:06 »
Hey guys, I've got a computer an Athlon 64 3200+, 512MB RAM and a Radeon x800 XT. The problem is, its install of Ubuntu has been running very slow as of late, starts randomly doing "weird" things, and constantly thrashes the hard drive. Sometimes rebooting it will make it better for a while, but it will go right back to where it was quite quickly.

CPU usage is not excessive, and it barely even uses half of the available memory. I have no idea what is wrong with this thing.
sig.

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
Re: Slow...slow..slow..
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2011, 04:11 »
Dying hard drive. Maybe Ubuntu is moving things from bad sectors. Time to download the makers bootable hd utility and run it.

Otherwise you had better read this thread. http://music-electronics-forum.com/t19633/

If you actually have a secure system, it will cause trouble because Ubuntu is putting backdoors into their latest releases, including the server versions, and this causes big trouble. They are spamming users through that back door.

If you figure out how to fix that post it here, because I'm using  10.x in a VM.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2011, 09:43 »
If you actually have a secure system, it will cause trouble because Ubuntu is putting backdoors into their latest releases, including the server versions, and this causes big trouble. They are spamming users through that back door.
The author of that forum post didn't even bother to go to the address. If he actually knew what he was doing, he would have saw that the port was 80.

http://rookery.canonical.com/

It's not a backdoor, it's a server that tells the new installation where it can find the most recent updates and certificates.
« Last Edit: 13 January 2011, 10:03 by Refalm »

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2011, 20:38 »
It would be a bit out of this world for Ubuntu with all it's open structure and code, to have a trojan installed and buried from those watching what goes on with the OS. Give them some credit.

But where they did cock up on was shipping a buggy Xorg in 10.10 that has a memory leak affecting some installations (or all? no idea). This was very serious for me, but once I found out about the problem and updated the software, the OS was in fine shape. That could be your problem lead.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2011, 00:28 by piratePenguin »
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2011, 23:17 »
Yeah I had the same problem with buggy XOrg packages that were delivered with 10.10. I just installed the beta package for a month, until the stable package got fixed.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2011, 00:27 »
This is running an older version of Ubuntu, really old. 9.04 or 9.10, can't quite remember
sig.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2011, 00:37 »
On my computer (which has a slower cpu and almost half your ram), when Ubuntu starts slowing down it's normally one or two processes: the update notifier (everything related to package management seems bloated on this hardware, god damn ridiculous), or its the Ubuntu one sync daemon. I just kill those processes if they're taking up resources (normally memory - and that seriously limits my available ram).

If you don't use Ubuntu one for syncing files then the latter mightn't have an effect, but it causes such disruption for me (I do use it for syncing files) that I think it has retards behind it. (there are other reasons I think this is true, including buggy behavior in 9.10 preventing me from logging in, and fucking with my files that it ballsed up the sync process for. It should be such a quality piece of software..)

Barring those things getting in my way my old hog works nicely. I can't wait to replace it soon, but I still love it.

Are you sure your hardware hasn't degraded?
« Last Edit: 14 January 2011, 00:40 by piratePenguin »
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 15 January 2011, 08:50 »
Hardware is fine. I have a Windows XP install on the machine too, and it runs fine. I have it boot Ubuntu, because it's the family computer, and quite frankly they would destroy a windows install in a matter of days with viri and spyware.

I think I'm just going to back up any important files on it, check the hard drive smart data for reallocated sectors, format it, and install 10.10
sig.

yahurd

• Kudos: 384
  • Hero of Time
    • http://www.yahurd.my-place.us/
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2011, 18:16 »
Certainly came along way from 5.x and 6.10...

In a bad way :(

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2011, 17:25 »
Well it is running better with 10.10, still not how fast it should be. I think I'm going to shove a new harddrive in it, even though this one checked out fine.
sig.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 17 January 2011, 02:40 »
Looks like most of the issues were caused by Compiz. A lot better now after disabling the effects. The effects ran fine and smooth, just everything else had no cmpatiblity with them for some reason.
sig.