Author Topic: VLC removed from App store  (Read 2632 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
VLC removed from App store
« on: 8 January 2011, 09:10 »
http://apple.slashdot.org/story/11/01/07/2341227/Apple-Pulls-VLC-Media-Player-From-AppStore
"Apple has removed VLC media player from the AppStore, putting an end to the controversy on the license (in)compatibilities. Indeed, the iTunes page for VLC media player stopped working: VLC developer RĂ©mi Denis-Courmont notes that he is 'not going to pity the owners of iDevices, and not even the MobileVLC developers who doubtless wasted a lot of their time. This end should not have come to a surprise to anyone.'"

No GPL software allowed in the App store, which now provides software for Apple devices and for OS X.

And with that I present...
'1984' Apple Macintosh Commercial (Full advert, Hi-Quality)
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
Re: VLC removed from App store
« Reply #1 on: 9 January 2011, 22:50 »
That's why I don't waste my money on iPads, iPods or iPhones or any iDevice that restricts what I can run. I own a macBook Pro, but otherwise won't use Apple products.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #2 on: 9 January 2011, 23:02 »
Is Firefox in the app store?

reactosguy

• Kudos: 2
    • Microsoft Sucks !!!
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2011, 00:37 »

Is Firefox in the app store?

Apparently not. I'll explain this below.

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/11/01/07/2341227/Apple-Pulls-VLC-Media-Player-From-AppStore

No GPL software allowed in the App store, which now provides software for Apple devices and for OS X.

This is exactly why FSF hates iDevices, because they have severe restrictions.

The only things I like from Apple are the Macintosh computers, and even then, I never even owned one.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2011, 15:26 »
Actually it seems to be more like Apple allowed VLC until somebody (actually a VLC developer) told Apple they needed a system in place for distributing the source as well as binaries.

Not only are Apple unwilling to allow that, the GPL forbids restrictions such as Apples 5-computer limit (or whatever it is), so it's completely illegal for Apple to distribute VLC under these terms but that doesn't matter until somebody complains.

So, Apple aren't even allowing developers to chose more liberal licensing terms than what they're used to.

Firefox isn't made for iPhone - Apple additionally have that rule where you can't submit software that mimics iPhone functionality (Opera has a license, im sure. I don't think this rule was lifted). Certainly if these rules weren't in place Firefox would be on the iPhone.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

reactosguy

• Kudos: 2
    • Microsoft Sucks !!!
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2011, 01:19 »
I flipping hate Apple so hard, it's ridiculous. Overpriced items, bad leaders not named Steve Jobs and now tight restrictions that make you feel imprisoned. It's a consumer nightmare.

It's too bad. VLC is an excellent media player and all Apple does is weed out those apps with licenses named GPL. They'll allow a non-working media player while they'll deny an excellent VLC player.

Never waste your time building a GPLed iPhone app. You won't be in the *in* crowd.

TO