All Things Microsoft > Microsoft as a Company

The end of the Zune

(1/2) > >>

Refalm:

--- Quote from: Bloomberg ---Microsoft will concentrate on putting Zune software onto mobile phones, such as those running its Windows operating system, said the person, who declined to be identified because the decision hasn’t been announced. Zune software lets customers buy songs and movies, as well as pay a monthly fee to stream unlimited music.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Bloomberg ---In 2009, Microsoft split the Zune team into software and hardware groups, letting the software people focus more on other platforms, such as phones, the Xbox video-game console and personal computers. The company touted the Zune software as a key feature in its redesigned Windows mobile-phone operating system when it went on sale in October.
--- End quote ---
Read more...

So basically, the Zune was a complete failure. What will probably happen next is a rebranding of MSN Music and the music player on Xbox 360 and Windows Phone 7 to Zune, then a few years later Microsoft realises this is stupid because no one knows what Zune even is.

Family Guy Zune Joke

Aloone_Jonez:
I'm glad that Zune existed because they released a different theme which I used for Windows XP at work rather than the shitty play school scheme.

No what happens to the music people have bought from Zune and the DRM?

Lead Head:
I'm guessing they'll get to keep their music. I've always wondered why the Zune failed. There didn't seem to be anything particularly wrong with them, but they never gained any success. I'm betting it was the software that really held them back, rather than the hardware. Sounds like a lot of previous Microsoft products actually...

reactosguy:
Zune sucks, iPod sucks...

xyle_one:
The zune failed because Microsoft is no good at marketing and dealing with actual competition. It's not their style. Just look at all of their misguided attempts to be hip. Windows 7 parties? Maroon 5 playing for the weak launch of the Windows Phone 7? Bill Gates shaking his ass in a commercial. They never could appeal to anyone but the ms geek crowd, whereas Apple made their products "cool" and a must have. Doesn't even matter if zune was technically superior (was it?), they had no chance.

I am not surprised.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version